Freezing with the Skin on to Metal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, I had thought myself about whether or not the the Sttoke was just another enamel cup. I have been skeptical til now, and kind of snickered when dearest wife got herself one. But just looking at them over the past hour or so, they seem to be quite kit. Can imagine it in a particular edc context of a HDS light, a Sebenza and MacBook Pro ... if you see what I mean. At the moment, I am just trying to work out if it will suit knocking around with rougher crowd in a hiking pack. :) Maybe. There are also sales on at the moment here, bringing the price down a bit. I think I am going to disappear her cup for a little while .. give it a test run.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
TBH it's not something I've ever had a problem with - apart from the odd mishap as MrEdd described. If it's that cold I will have gloves on and by the time the drink has cooled enough the cup edge is way above freezing. That's true of your drinking bottle too; if the water can be drunk it's doubtful the bottle is at freezing temperature. For me there are too many advantages in a metal mug to start using plastic and I'm making a determined effort to cut down the plastic in my kit anyway.

I'm thinking maybe we should get back to horn drinking vessels :)

Reactions: Erbswurst and MrEd

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
I bought me a double wall Klean Kanteen bottle just for that. In case I go outside in the winter and have to be outside long enough for water to start freezing
And vice versa. In the summer it keeps the water cool and refreshing even after a long day in the heat.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
:confused2:

If I remember it right, the lakes in Finland are pretty fresh even in August.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@Broch

I think it's possible that the water in the bottle is still liquid but the bottle itself sub zero.
I am unsure, but I think standing water in a tube freezes from outside to inside.

The question is if in this small physical area the problem really exists because cup and bottle are relatively small.

But it's obvious that the northern armies decided to issue plastic cups.
I guess the reason are bad experiances.

We usually assume that they changed to plastic bottles because they are cheaper, and that's surely also a reason.
But the Wehrmacht issued in the beginning Aluminium cups and later plastic cups (Bakelit). Together with the scew closure butter tin it was the only plastic item they issued. I think the war against Russia was the reason to do that.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It has to do with the physical differences among surfaces.
Which is hydrophilic (eg metals) and which can be hydrophobic (eg plastics).

It has to do with thermal mass and conductivity.
My bare hands will warm up very thin materials quite quickly but for stupidly cold temperatures like -20C, I will do my damndest never to take my pile-lines gloves off. Smart like Inuit, wear mittens to protect your hands.
Plastics don't conduct heat very well so a cup surface will not have the heat pulled away and dissipated in the mass as would happen with metals.

Wait until you have frozen vehicle door locks to fool with at -20C.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE