Freeze dried ration pack recommendations please.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just wanted some opinions of freeze dried ration packs from people who have tried them. I have used Be-Well expedition foods in the past and found them to be ok (ease of use and lightness in my pack great, not so impressed by the menus). I have been looking at Mountain house too but have no experience of them. I would like to buy 24 hour rat packs preferably (not army ones though, too heavy and bulky) but don't mind mixing and matching too.

What are the best and tastiest freeze dried rat packs out there and where can I get them from? :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Though there are a huge amount of woefull freeze dried meals out there these are pretty darn good. Kudrati Freeze Dried Curries. Bushcraft Store does them online HERE Veggy too if thats a consideration though nice bulked out with some meat too.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
By far the tastiest I've ever tried are the Fuizion range, they're pricey but worth it.

Have you considered buying a cheap dehydrator and making your own?

Feb 4, 2012
Nr St Ives, Cornwall
Being a cheap skate, I just make do with Batchelors Beanfeast, either chilli or bolognese, plus pasta or boil in the bag rice depending on my mood. Or a Look what we found meal pouch (well usually two, as one does not quite fill me up) then to make up my daily rations, I just compliment them with chocolate, dried fruit, salami/jerky/biltong, spare chocolate, chewy bars, midget gems, extra chocolate, cup a soups/mugshots, isotonic juice powder, my brew gear and emergency chocolate.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Mountain House meals were surprisingly good, I lived on them for a week without any complaints.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
By far the tastiest I've ever tried are the Fuizion range, they're pricey but worth it.

Have you considered buying a cheap dehydrator and making your own?

I did think about a dehydrator, but I'm not a great cook so buying ready made is the better option.

Any chance of a link to the fuizion range.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Mountain House has been mentioned and are probably the biggest brand here www.mountainhouse.com

Another option is Richmoor www.richmoor.com Richmoor also has a gluten free selection IIRC

As for as I know, nobody does "24 hour" packs but most of the companies do do bulk tins.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Mountain House portions are optimistic, small for me at least and the calorific value is quite low. If your doing a lot of hiking you really need to add some fat to your dried meals, butter is the simple way.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Plus 1 Rik. I'd advise trying most such meals at home first. However, that said, I finally realized what MH (et al) were talking about. When they say "two servings" those serving sizes are in accordance with FDA "servings." They don't say "meal for two." Just realize that you need more than one "serving." After all, the food pyramid reccomends 6-11 servings of veg per day rather than three (one per meal) And even back when I was on a scant 1000 calorie per day diet, I was supposed to eat five servings of meat (or other protein) per day; one at brealfast, and two servings each at dinner and supper (just that a serving of meat or protein is as small as 3 oz (85 grams) or a single egg.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Just placed an order of Mountain house and adventure foods from outdoors grub and was pleased to get an email saying my order was on its way an hour later.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE