Frame for Duluth pack (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
First time trying to post piccies, so be nice:)

Having a Duluth pack poses one problem. It is a great pack but not really suitable for long walks. In trying to combine the pro's of the Duluth Northwoods and a regular frame pack I've come to the following solution using a swedish army LK70 frame:

Pack, backside
packside.jpg

Pack, frameside. Note the basic LK70 SA frame
frameside.jpg

Detail of top attachment. I use a small leather strap
top1aw.jpg

Detail of top attachment. Here how it is attached to the Duluth pack
top2v.jpg

Further detail. Here you can see how the small strap is threaded and connects with the frame and eventually goes through the tumpline attachment
top4yl.jpg

Detail of how the straps of the Duluth are placed around the frame. The straps will not be stressed i this position because the weight is on the two aforementioned straps.
top5b.jpg

And how the bottom side is fastened (turn your head 90 deg left:D)
bottom1.jpg

Concluding with a top and a side view of the pack with frame
top3k.jpg

sidens.jpg

The end result is comfortable as an LK70, has the old charme of the Duluth and doesn't require alterations to the pack or frame (the only thing is that youll have to disassemble the tumpline)

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Nice work. I've got the rugged river pack, and have just done a 30 miler, with one over night, i walked from Nottingingham to Grantham, along the old canal, the pack was'nt to bad to carry.

Rob

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I guess I'm spoiled. I did some walking with the pack properly packed (rolled up mat inside) and it's not bad, but with a heavy load (>20kg) it is a pain for me.

86inch

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2008
Lincolnshire
The Northwoods isn't really a pack for walking. Its merely a portage pack, meant for heavy and bulky loads over short periods of time & distance - hence having the very useful tump line and no waist/hip belt.

I would be very careful about putting a heavy load on the cinch straps as you have done Mastino, the rivets there are only hollow quick-set rivets and will not stand a heavy "pull through" load. They are only strong in sheer, as they are meant to be in this configuration. Hopefully, the pack frame extends all the way under the Northwoods...

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would be very careful about putting a heavy load on the cinch straps as you have done Mastino, the rivets there are only hollow quick-set rivets and will not stand a heavy "pull through" load. They are only strong in sheer, as they are meant to be in this configuration. Hopefully, the pack frame extends all the way under the Northwoods...

I'd be tempted to just "stand" it on the shelf and use some straps or rope to attach it to the frame, gping all the way around the pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE