Fox?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
Appologies if this has been asked before, but why don't I hear about people eating fox?

Just occured to me for some reason yesterday when I was talking to a freind about shooting rabbits and he said he'd had a fox in his garden christmas eve night.

As far as I'm aware they are still hunted as vermin?

So why don't we eat them like we'd eat a rabbit?

Geoff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Some cultures do eat dog I believe though don't they? I've never really understood the cow good, horse bad, pig good, dog bad thing. Protein is protein at the end of the day. Falvour is something else though!

Red

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
BOD said:
Carnivores, whether mammalian or not, are often eaten - tiger, bears, dog, civet cats, crocodile, python. The latter two I know taste pretty good.

Why should the fox taste bad - its been eating rabbits?

Should we prefer rat then since its not a carnivore?

I thought it was because of the by products of the animal protein diet giving an ammoniacal taste.

Never eaten any of the above list,so I have no personal comments as to their taste. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've tried snake (although not python). Firm, chewy, NOT like chicken although a white meat...more...pork I guess .....quite like venison in consistency but less gamey. Would actually seek it out - its a nice meat. Don't forget that pigs and squirrel and a few others are naturally omnivorous too. Horse is nice. BB oin her African days dined on everything from Zebra to Giraffe (avoid the neck cut - its all muscle apparently). I may just give fox a go and find out - we shoot plenty of them on the farm (or else they devastate the game birds)

Red

Nov 14, 2005
Northiam, East Sussex
That program sounds interesting, if for no other reason than to see people eat animals that are not normally eaten by the masses and hear what they think. Not sure about the whole vegitarian issue raised in that link to the description of the show, and I'll certainly keep my own opinions on it to myself!

However, there doesn't seem to be any hard fast rules as to why we don't eat fox. I suppose like somebody said it is essentially a dog and may be considered/expected to be too dirty or perhaps tough to eat? Maybe by the things it eats it is best avoided in case it is carrying anything? Then as somebody else pointed out, in other countries it is most certainly eaten.

I was just intrigued why it wasn't on the menu anywhere in the uk or why I've never heard of anyone shooting one for the pot or even in pest control them being put to some use.

Will keep an eye out for that program, but unless I'm blind, that link to the BBC site doesn't actually say anywhere when it is on?

Cheers
Geoff

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
The only info I could find suggests Winter 07 on BBC3 so it looks like we are going to have to wait a whole year for some tasty fox recipes - unless anyone is brave enough to try and tell in the mean time ;)

If you are willing to collect I will supply ole Charlie nice 'n' fresh for your culinary delights :naughty: seriously I will!

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Sorry for the double post but I am now finding myself damn tempted at having a go at this myself :eek:. After a bit of surfing I have found the following info, supplied by Clarissa of 'Two Fat Ladies' fame

Take one fox. Skin it and gut it.

Hang the fox in running water for three days. (Note from Silverback: I am guessing this is to rid the meat of the ammonia like secretions especially evident in dog foxes)
Cook with garlic, onion and tomato, as if you were cooking rabbit the Italian way: lay in a dish, cover, and stew for about an hour and a half.

I would probably cut the fox into halves, not quarters.

Serve with chestnut pasta, and for wine: a good Falerian.
It's not generally known that the Thais eat a lot of fox. It's the closest thing that Chinese, Thais and Malays can legally get to dog.

In fact, Manchester -- where Andrew was trying to take Margaret Beckett for dinner -- is one of the prime markets for selling shot fox to Thais.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
It just dosent seam right to eat a fox and to go out and kill one just to try it
seams rong some how.

Just my take on it any way.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Malays are muslim in majority, so I think it highly unlikely that they eat Dog as traditional fare.

I should think that fox can be prepared the same way as dog, and so if prepared correctly would be quite tasty.

the reason we dont eat them in the UK is probably entirly cultural, we dont like the idea of eatig somthing so similar to a dog.

we dont eat horses either, yet other cultures prepare nice meals with horse

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
swagman said:
It just dosent seam right to eat a fox and to go out and kill one just to try it
seams rong some how.

Just my take on it any way.
I understand where you are coming from but I have got to be honest with you and say that the fox I (might ;) ) try will be shot regardless of whether it is destined for human consumption or not.

No flames please I am flame resistant :D

S8AN

Jan 4, 2007
London
I've eaten:

Crocodile & Kangaroo my two oddest dinners.

Crocodile is strange - white like chicken, tastes like beef but has the fleshy feel of pork.

kangaroo was just nasty. but hey if your hungrey food is food.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
S8AN said:
I've eaten:

Crocodile & Kangaroo my two oddest dinners.

Crocodile is strange - white like chicken, tastes like beef but has the fleshy feel of pork.

kangaroo was just nasty. but hey if your hungrey food is food.

Lets be truthfull i bet no one on this forum has ever rearly been hungrey there
is no reason for anyone to eat any exsotic animal or a fox.
Foxes have been persicuted for years for no good reason . We kill foxes who kill the birds we bread to kill for so called sport.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE