fox scat on top of mouse

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bear

Dec 30, 2004
ireland
hi all,
A few months ago i came across a fox scat that was perfectly dropped onto a dead mouse(took pics with phone but not techy enuff to post).it was definately fox because i had seen cubs in the area for a few weeks and knew where den was.
what was the purpose of fox doing this to a possible meal?was it a territorial marker?

Another observation months later at home was that some neighbours dogs had gotten into my garden and stolen a bag of dog biscuits i had forgotten outside,dragged them to bottom of garden,chewed the bag a bit and then left a turd on the bag!!!
My own dog was not at all impressed with this when he found it,and did a strange kind of prancing or pronking(as deer do)around the garden huffing and snorting.can anyone shed any light on what behaviour the fox was showing by doing this??

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
yeah id go for territorial...dogs will urinate on anything to mark territory, hump another male dog to show dominance, and in the cse of my little bundle of fun, drop a perfectly formed little present onto the mother in laws pillow...almost like a chocolate on your pillow that some hotels leave for you. so definatly territorial...

bear

Dec 30, 2004
ireland
Cheers guys,territorial was what i suspected,also it might be an indicator of how plentiful food must be,to sacrafice a meal as a territorial marker,its great to have a forum to discuuss tracking my work colleagues thought i was mad to be so interested in it!but when you analyse it,tells a lot about whats goin on around us if we only open our eyes!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE