Found a small Kent pattern axe that I forgot I owned !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I was rummaging in the shed today looking for cold chisels, when I came across a small wooden tool box that I had forgotten about.
It used to belong to my girlfriends father. I found a Stanley plane, 2 small wooden spirit levels, try square, 3 cold chisels, a gin trap,3 bits for a bit & brace, 2 pen knives that are really worn, and this small Kent patterned axe.

I cannot see any makers mark on it yet, but he died 34 years ago so it is fairly old. It has a flat grind on it so I assume it was a carpenters axe (correct me if you think I am wrong).

I have it pictured next to my GB wildlife hatchet. It weighs about 4oz more.

I am really looking forward to refurbing this one ! And it will be a Keeper !

DSCN3024.jpgDSCN3025.jpg

Leiflet

Nomad
Jun 5, 2013
Devon
Good one. I've just started refurbishing a Kent pattern hatchet head. Despite reservations that it's a bit too battered. It's got more dings on it than you could believe and has lost the curve on the lower third of the cutting edge. On the other hand, this is my first refurb, so starting with something I won't miss is maybe a good idea. Does make me inclined to be a bit reckless about reshaping it to look sexy, though.

Cheers,
Leif

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Nice one ! I look forward to seeing the finished article. If it is really battered then why not be creative & have a go. Looking sexy is good as long as it is useable !
I am not going to modify this one as such, it is going to be cleaned, edge re ground and new helve.

Good one. I've just started refurbishing a Kent pattern hatchet head. Despite reservations that it's a bit too battered. It's got more dings on it than you could believe and has lost the curve on the lower third of the cutting edge. On the other hand, this is my first refurb, so starting with something I won't miss is maybe a good idea. Does make me inclined to be a bit reckless about reshaping it to look sexy, though.

Cheers,
Leif

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
looks like that will be a nice project, not only that, it'll be special to you, I look forward to see it it finished :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Nice looking axe, is it a true side axe or has it just been reprofiled with the bevel on one side
I do think it was intended for a chippy going by the straight cutting edge

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE