Forging and intergral knife

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
Hi
Ok this was like several projects in one. Firstly it was and is my first and only integral I have ever made to date so it was very new to me. Also it was all done in one day from about 12 noon to dinner time and I was really pooped at the end.

I tried to photograph as I went along but not all the photos are that good as my arms got the shakes as I am not as strong as I used to be.
In the forging pictures I have tried to show the hammers I was using at the time it starts at a 4lbs sledge then drops to a 3lbs smiths hammer then to a 2lbs smiths/cutlers hammer then finally some odd hammer I use for flattening, I think its a cobblers hammer of something, it does the job just fine for flattening as it has a big flat face.

The steel of choice was one of my favourites, good old truck springs I am pretty sure it s 1095 as it shows a hamon pretty well unlike some spring steels.
PICT0877.jpg

I cut off a small section of the spring about 4.5inch long.
PICT0878.jpg

I fried up the forge and in went the steel, first things first and I straitened it out ready for bashing (note 4lbs hammer)

PICT0879.jpg

I then flattened out one end as I really don’t like to hold the steel with the round tongs so I flattened one end about half way along so i can hold it with my flat bit tongs.
PICT0880.jpg

Next up I drew the tang out (on the other side of the bar) with a 4lbs then 3lbs hammers and tidied it up with a 2lbs one.
PICT0882.jpg

I continued to work on the blade part with the cutlers/smiths hammer and drew more of a blade shape
PICT0883.jpg

After that I used the odd cobblers hammer to flatten the blade and tidy up the tang and shape the blade some more. I had not decided how I wanted the blade so I left to rough and I thought I would let the grinding decide.

PICT0884.jpg

I ground the blade only on a 4inchx30 belt sander for this one using a 36grit belt. This is what it looked like after the initial grinding
PICT0885.jpg

I thought I would go for a hamon on this one as I am quite fond of hamons so on with the KOS refractory clay

PICT0886.jpg

I dried the wet clay in the warming forge and edge quenched it in oil that I had not warmed as the weather is kind of warm. This is the blade from the quench.

PICT0887.jpg

Remove clay and a scrub with washing up liquid later. (Oil and etchant don’t mix)
PICT0889.jpg

Back to the grinder for some investigation and a hardening line can easily be seen.

PICT0890.jpg

After some more finer grinding a quick dip in some ferric to see what the hamon look like. Looks good so far.

PICT0892.jpg

I continued to polish the blade and this is the blade and hamon I was satisfied with.
PICT0897.jpg

PICT0898.jpg

PICT0902.jpg

For the handle I decided to use some buffalo horn and some burl I got from Brisa a while back. I can’t remember what it’s called at the moment.

PICT0903.jpg

The finished knife. Done to 400 grit paper with a little oil to bring out the yummy wood.

PICT0915.jpg

The hamon.
PICT0911.jpg

The other side.
PICT0907.jpg

The wood figure
PICT0916.jpg

Thanks for looking.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Original work, LF, quite a rarity!

I’m completely dumbfounded by the speed at which the work was completed.

Did you have any specific purpose(s) in mind for this design of knife, LF?

Best regards,
Paul.

S

shaunmcdonald

That is a very nice knife and it was also nice to actually see it in the making...so to speak. From an old rusty spring to that amazing knife :)

boland magyar

Tenderfoot
Sep 16, 2006
west midlands
wow......i need to have a go at making my own knife.
how would i get this information and could i make one using an old file.
sorry for hijacking this thread
boland

Jan 18, 2005
Bucks
Silverback said:
That is a humdinger of a knife and I loved the start to finish pics - all from a fellow Wycombe boy as well :You_Rock_

I am just down the road from Hazelmere crossroads :)
I was thinking of doing a knife making course for the Bucks group.

H

Heathenpeddler

What would you use a blade that shape for, it's not one I've come across in bushcraft?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE