Forging an awl video

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Enjoyed seeing them being made, looking forward to receiving mine even more now. Cheers!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I'm very pleased to have the two I got from you, and the video adds a bit of spice to them!..................Thankyou.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Also Mac
Your point about how much time hand-crafted objects take to make is absolutely bang on. If I worked out how much money I get from sales on here compared to how long it takes to make stuff, you would get far less than the minimum wage :(
But to sell things on here at a good and fair price helps out our little community I think.

ATB
Craeg

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Also Mac
Your point about how much time hand-crafted objects take to make is absolutely bang on. If I worked out how much money I get from sales on here compared to how long it takes to make stuff, you would get far less than the minimum wage :(
But to sell things on here at a good and fair price helps out our little community I think.

ATB
Craeg

Aye mate. Realistically I should be charging much more for them. As it stands I'm not making a living at it so it's not so bad but things would be hard.
None left just now but I'll put you name on the list for the next batch. I've no steel for them just now though so there will be a delay.

Cheers for the comments
Andy

P

Passer

Just started to watch the vid, when a knock at the door.
It was the Postie delivering mine;)
Great product and service.
Thanks

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cant watch the video on mobile devices, I only have an ipad, boo!

Paul

You might be able to watch it through a YouTube app. It's filmed and uploaded with an iPad.

I have the "youplayer" app rather than the actual YouTube one and I can watch it through that.

Cheers

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Great Video Andy - you make it looks so simple which I know it isn't!

Just the one complaint though......... I keep reading it as OWL :eek: - can you forge an Owl next please, please......

nic.

Forager
Mar 21, 2011
Mid Wales
Nice Video, straightening springs is a pain have, buying something straight would work out cheaper in the long run. Silver steel is one of the more expensive tool steels, not sure exactly what size you would need but I reckon it would only cost 25-50p per awl. Forging time would be dramatically reduced to, depending on how the loop is done 2-4 heats seems possible.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
It would need to be a maximum of 3mm dia. Though it should really be 2.5mm

if you can recommend somewhere I might find that stock I'd be most appreciative.

Cheers for all the subscriptions guys!
Andy

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers Nic. I'm told the wire used to attach hub caps is spring steel. I'm going to check this out ASAP.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE