Forest Schools Online Forum.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
There have been some others on the BCUK asking about Forest Schools.

There is a new forum foscusing on Forest Schools. It is for those who are both qualified Forest School Leaders/Assistants or those interested in finding out more and perhaps thinking about getting qualified.

For those who are unaware, Forest Schools is a programme of using nature as a tool for the development of those attending. It is a long term development (10 weeks +) although some of the skills can be used in shorter projects. Bushcraft is one of the tools that can be used (natural history in general, history, music, stories, art and many other topics unrelated to nautre can be used) however the focus is on using those skills within a different context, for example, the aim is not soley their accomplishments with a knife but the development that has taken place working to that point and gleaned from it.

I`m waffling because I dont want anyone to misunderstand Forest Schools as "Children`s Bushcraft" (something I`m 100% for , however this is something quite different)

http://www.forestschools.com/ - general information about Forest Schools

http://www.forestschools.com/phpBB2/ - Forest Schools Forum

Come say hello.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Thanks for the link.

Despite very rural setting, local village school is starting up a program and there has been a great deal of interest. The fact that children largely born and raised in very rural Scotland can still be so enthused and motivated by this scheme speaks volumes.

As an ex- Hednesfordian, hope the Chase is still there!

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
The Chase is great thanks, heading up there quite a bit at the minute as I`m off for a few days. There has been a change in management and a lot of the plantation has been felled, opening it up for heathland restoration work and native broadleaf mix planting.

Still tripping over the deer though.

I think thats great about the project, are you going to be involved?

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
What kind of training/certification do you need to work on a Forest Schools Project? I have just completed the Bushcraft Leadership Programme run through Plumpton - I know that there were two students in the previous year who are now running a Forest Schools Programme in East Sussex but I am not sure if they did additional training. Obviously CRB disclosure would be a must.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Well as I say, Forest Schools isn’t just Children’s Bushcraft. To lead a project there is an OCN Level 3 qualification, or to assist a Level 2. This takes about a year as there is skill consolidation and observation(of children)/assisting experience required, a portfolio of work to be completed, then a week long assessment to attend. There are a couple of other avenues currently but they are all slowly conforming approximately to this model.

. There is still a lot of people calling their projects Forest Schools when they are clearly not. They are tagging onto a popular idea.

Some of the key elements are that it is long term development (10+ weeks), understanding schema, accelerated learning, observation, learning styles, multiple intelligences, hemispheric dominance, linking to National Curriculum, anti-social behavior, examination socio-economic values and behavior, self esteem etc etc. This is all a truly fascinating field of study. If your friends are using these things then great, if not, they are not really doing Forest Schools.

Having a qualification in Bushcraft is good, my background gave me very good start and a good vantage point to know what would work and how it can be used in one portion of the skills you could use to deliver in Forest Schools, but it is how you deliver it that makes it a Forest School.

Shortly there is going to be work to benchmark Forest Schools and also looks to be an Association of Forest School Leaders to try and consolidate who is Forest Schools and who is not.

As I said in the first post, Children Bushcraft if fantastic, 100% behind it, I do it myself, but Forest Schools the emphasis is different and there is a lot lot more to learn.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE