Foraged teas

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I bought a variety of Oolong teas to try. Little hard bullets of rolled up tea leaves, made a real mess for a newbie like me.
I fixed that. Make tea in a glass Lagostina coffee press so you can watch the whole business. There's no fun in an opaque cup.
Should be the perfect piece of kit for any and all foraged tea materials.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Does anyone know if you can effectively dry wild teas? I'm drying some pineapple weed to try it but wondered if others had tried. Thanks

Reactions: TeeDee

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just having a mug of dried pineapple weed tea. Not as good as fresh in my opinion, the pineapple flavour has muted quite a bit. Still, not bad, happily drinking it.

Reactions: TeeDee

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Does anyone know if you can effectively dry wild teas? I'm drying some pineapple weed to try it but wondered if others had tried. Thanks
Yes, try and ensure you hang it upsidedown ... it can get soggy and rot if not.

That said, I have a two huge bags of mint drying now. One in a big paper bag, the other in small old linen tote. The mint is just stuffed in there any old how. But, the bags are just hanging on the kitchen door handle ... which means I regularly get reminded to rustle them up a bit

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There are other ways of approaching the subject. I still like to drink the water that cabbage has been boiled in with a bit of white pepper in it. Both my grandads relished this and I picked it up from them. Not sure if this technically counts as tea .. maybe it is soup :). Anyway, carrot tops and parsnip tops are great cooked this way, and the water is lovely. Though, I think they're probably better just sauteed.

There is of course dandelion tea, but it will make you pee bucketsful.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know those re-useable fine net bags sold in the supermarkets for folks to fill with fruit and veg ?
8g each apparently.
Anyhow, if you use them to put herbs into, and hang them out on the washing line when it's dry weather, then it's a very effective way to dry them quickly.
I don't do it in full sun, but one of my washing lines is in full shade all afternoon long, but where it catches a breeze. Ideal :)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I made up a batch of Rosebay Willowherb tea last week, truth be told it just tastes a bit leafy. I don't think I got the fermentation bit quite right, I'll have to try again.
When you say leafy, do you mean kinda like fresh garden peas? I've had this happen quite a bit, have a play with the brewing temp of the tea. Some like a cooler temp, others need it fresh off the boil. Some teas just taste that way though

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
When you say leafy, do you mean kinda like fresh garden peas? I've had this happen quite a bit, have a play with the brewing temp of the tea. Some like a cooler temp, others need it fresh off the boil. Some teas just taste that way though
Spot on there with the garden peas. I did make the tea with boiling water, next time I'll try cooler water.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
Last night's fishing on the river including a wee stop for a tea break, but not just a 'dust bag' affair, it was my first time steeping and drinking mares tail which was very pleasant. I must admit I've not given foraged tea a lot of thought but it's something I want to start doing this year, hopefully trying a new tea out and about once a week. Last week I had elderflower tea, which was great.

I feel like this will bring my plant knowledge on well too.

My question is, what other tea plants are about at the moment?
Scott pine tea my favourite

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just had a go at BogMyrtle tea (warning: Bog Myrtle is known to be an Abortifacient) with the dried leaves. Very nice, light refreshing and floral, didn't go mental with the leaves so I'll experiment with adding more next chance.

Last edited:

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I hope you are not pregnant, the plant is listed as abortifacient.
I appreciate the warning, I should have mentioned that on my post as I had read that but as I'm a male I probably didn't soak it in, very good point to raise though

P.s. edited the post to mention it :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just had a go at BogMyrtle tea, with the dried leaves. Very nice, light refreshing and floral, didn't go mental with the leaves so I'll experiment with adding more next chance.

I appreciate the warning, I should have mentioned that on my post as I had read that but as I'm a male I probably didn't soak it in, very good point to raise though

P.s. edited the post to mention it :)

You being Male means nothing today ref being potentially preggers.

:)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Just had a go at BogMyrtle tea (warning: Bog Myrtle is known to be an Abortifacient) with the dried leaves. Very nice, light refreshing and floral, didn't go mental with the leaves so I'll experiment with adding more next chance.
Does it taste anything like the plant smells?

I normally avoid the plant as it triggers my asthma, but over the last few months I've been almost nostalgic for it. Probably because I miss the habitat, not the plant :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE