For riders and drivers, David's story.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Very tragic but he was riding in an irresponsible manner. The message of this video should not have been 'Think Bike', it should have been 'bikers, think speed'.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That was very upsetting. I wasn't going over the speed limit when I had my accident, and it put me off for life. Good play by the parents for allowing that footage to be shown.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Both parties were at fault. He didn't give himself the opportunity to slow down because he was going far too fast for the road and the car pulling over was an idiot.

When I was on my CBT someone tried to kill me within 5 minutes of getting out on the road for the part of the test. Fortunately I was the one in front of the 16yr old on the scooter who was with me and the instructor. I saw the woman waiting to get out onto the road coming out of the petrol station. She even looked right at me before pulling directly out into my path. Fortunately I saw the blatant look of inattention and was already braking so I didn't make a dent in her side. I wish I'd been wearing a helmet cam so I could have passed it onto the police. Absolutely unbelievable. I'm fairly sure it was my car driving experience that saved my life. Since then I've been much more wary of bikers as well.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
1901503_10151918203901330_1675294564_n.jpg

Bikes Blues and BBQ

April 3

NONE OF THE MOTORCYCLES IN THIS PICTURE CAN BE SEEN IN THE TRUCKER'S MIRROR'S OR OTHER BLIND SPOTS. Take a moment and "SHARE this on your Facebook Page. IT COULD SAVE THE LIFE OF A SOMEONE YOU LOVE. ~ shared from the Goldwing World Facebook Page

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
Very dramatic and caused me to swear out loud.

I know there is a constant Think Bike campaign, but bikers do need to accept responsibility for their actions as well. If he was going nearly 30 miles an hour slower he may have had chance to react, but if the driver hadn't even seen the car behind the biker, then the fault lies on both sides.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
1901503_10151918203901330_1675294564_n.jpg

Bikes Blues and BBQ

April 3

NONE OF THE MOTORCYCLES IN THIS PICTURE CAN BE SEEN IN THE TRUCKER'S MIRROR'S OR OTHER BLIND SPOTS. Take a moment and "SHARE this on your Facebook Page. IT COULD SAVE THE LIFE OF A SOMEONE YOU LOVE. ~ shared from the Goldwing World Facebook Page

That's pretty disturbing too. Bus drivers have a huge amount of blind spots when it comes to cyclists too.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
That's quite a shocking piece of video. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that before, in that the video let's us see the very last things he saw, and we also hear his last words. It touched a nerve with me too as I had a bad smash years ago, f**ked myself up good and was lucky to live through it. When I crashed I was speeding too so all my own fault. Thankfully no-one else was hurt. In this case he was apparently doing 97mph and had no time to slow down so that's close to the speed he hit the car. He was an adult and must carry responsibility for the way he was driving. The driver should have been more attentive but, in their defence, a bike approaching at high speed can be hard to see or, even if seen, it can be hard to judge the speed of their approach, certainly when it is almost doing 100mph and especially when viewed head-on. I'm not sure what good it will do to prosecute the driver but I guess there is fault on both sides and, in the eyes of the law, justice must be done.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The driver should have taken more care and he shouldn't have been hammering along expecting everyone to see him at all times.

Awful for his family but its happened many times before and it will happen lots again.

I've ridden bikes for years before I passed my car test and owning a van was an eye opener for me, I realised that on several of the junctions I hammered along at often double the stated limit that in my van loaded with plasterboard and heavy the visibility wasn't good enough if some wally was doing 120 down the road.

I realised that the me in the van would likely not be able to see the me on the bike and I worked out that other drivers would be the same at the same junctions.

A good lesson is to go along a favourite stretch of road on your bike and just count the side openings onto it. Gates from a field, junctions, peoples drives they all add up and its a good wake up call.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE