Footwear (and clothing) for the mountains

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello chaps,

It looks like I've scored a job in the French Alps for the rest of the season, and I go next week! Very short notice. I've been living in Barcelona for the last while and asuch I only own summer clothing. I've been out hiking in canvas trail shoes and something tells me they're not going to cut it in -15 :rolleyes:

Now skii boots are included in my contract, and my canvas shoes will do me for the working hours, but I definately need something for the rest of the time, for when I'm not at work or on the hill. For loafing about town ;)

I'd rather not get a specificly winter orientated boot as they'll be junk for the rest of the year, but at the same time if I can find a cheap shoe that'll do me the time there I won't feel so bad chucking them when I'm back in Barcelona this summer.

I'm wondering how a regular pair of boots would actually do against the snow.
I had a fine winter in Scotland last year with unlined leather boots. Roomy fit and a couple of pairs of the British army arctic sock with liner socks and for hte most part I was okay. So I was thinking maybe a pair of Chelsea boots with a decent tred, how does that sound? Something like http://www.timberlandonline.co.uk/on/demandware.store/Sites-TBLGB-Site/default/Search-Show?cgid=sale_mens&start=20&sz=20&pid=74141&start=32&source=search&color=210 (tho I really want to get a pair of the chelsea docs!)

Or duckboots maybe? Or those glorified fleece lined wellies? What do you guys think? I'd prefer a pull on boot and to keep it as far under 100eu as possible.

As for clothing, I guess I'm a bit better off than some as I have some decent clothes from bushcraft and hiking. A second set of wool thermals is on the table, got my wool socks, my wool jumpers, my endicotts lined smock, wool buff, wool gloves, wool hat. What else would be useful? I was considering a down jacket, but theres a lot to consider and it'd be a big investment too. Could I get some recommendations? I was wanting to include a down jacket in my bushcraft/hiking kitlist, but I don't want a huge bulky thing, something lightweight (under 500g if thats a reasonable ballpark), no hood, that'll keep me okay at -10. I figure anything colder I can compensate with wool layers.

What would be the necessary clothing for the slopes? I've never skiied or anything before, what do you usually pack and wear? Any recommendations for salopettes, skii socks, that kinda thing?

Rambled on a bit but cheers chaps!

Last edited:

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Regular leather walking boots and wool socks are all I need in the winter. Wearing gaiters will increase the insulation value.

OliveDrabnotDPM

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 11, 2007
North Yorkshire
For on the slopes, I recommend a waterproof outer (Gore-tex or similar) with mixed thick and thin thermal layers underneath.
Hope that's suitably vague! Don't want to be too prescriptive. You just need something to keep you dry when you fall over in the snow and something to keep you warm through the changing temperatures of morning / afternoon / evening, sunshine / shade and over exertion when your learning to ski / skiing hard verses just cruising around.
I worked a season in the Alps a good few years ago. Between work and time on the slopes there wasn't much more time for needing proper Winter footwear. I think I generally wandered around in a decent pair of approach shoes (with a set of those studded rubber strap-on things to keep me upright on the ice / compacted snow). They saw me to and from work, to and from the slopes (I just stuck them in my small backpack when I got to the slopes, so they were always with me no matter where I ended up at the end of the day!) and to and from the various bars I frequented!
I don't know what your accommodation will be like but mine was shared and no drying room, just a small convection heater. All my snowy kit got hung above that overnight. If you're taking lots of wool stuff, that might be more difficult to get dry each day, plus needing a bit more care when washing. I was quite lucky, I ran a couple of chalets and always had a washing machine and tumble dryer.
If your not working a chalet it's worth befriending someone who is! :naughty:
Just my 2 penneth
Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE