Footware..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I would second the merrell's. I have a pair for last fours year now and they are still going strong after miles of summer walking. I recently bought a pair of Brasher Hillmasters and I am a amazed at the out of the box comfort and how lightweight they are.

Merrell also do so versions with Vibram soles.

James

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I have clarks active air shoes. I don't know what model and can't find any one the net. They are about £70 in mos clark shops so maybe more then others. If you can get to the Yorkshire outlet you can pick up a bargin though. I got two pairs for £30 :biggthump

edit: go to www.clarks.com for the info

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
RovingArcher,

What type of boots are the ones you have on your post, are they avaliable in UK and what sort of price are they. Normally I wear Lowa militry boots but I also have Salamon trainers which are nice.

Brian

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Brian said:
RovingArcher,

What type of boots are the ones you have on your post, are they avaliable in UK and what sort of price are they. Normally I wear Lowa militry boots but I also have Salamon trainers which are nice.

Brian

Brian, they are Elk leather mocassins that were gifted to me. They are extremely comfortable and fit the foot like a second skin. They are great for stalking around in the bush.

There are similar mocs that can be found online and I'm thinking that some of the people here at BCUK may be able to help with finding them in the UK. I apologize, but I can't say what a pair would be worth.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Yep, they very well could be of European design. The pattern came from a leatherwork company (tandy) here in the states. The leather came from a Colorado Elk, taken in a traditional manner and they came together in a prison here in California, where one of the Lakota brothers made them up for a friend of mine because he helps the Indian prisoners with their spiritual needs. He had them for years and never wore them, prefering the low, slipper style of moc. One day when I visited him at his Tatoo shop (Indian Ink), he brought them out and presented them to me. I was honored to receive them, considering how they came to be.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have a pare of these
260341V_2.JPG
really great for gental/dry woodland walking.. very nice, but you got to get used to them!!

see www.birkenstock.com

leon-1

Thanks for the information RA, I have ordered this pattern, but am waiting for some other parts of the order before it is despatched in its entirety, when it arrives I'll let you know if the pattern is made by Tandy (the whole lot is coming from your side of the pond so I don't see why not) :biggthump.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Anyone tried Mack Boots?

I had a pair and found them to be pretty indestructable

Can't seem to find a UK seller tho

Tant

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Buckshot said:
What thickness is the leather?
Does it vary from sole to upper?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark, the leather is a split and looks to be between 1/8 and 3/16" thick. Under foot is double thickness. As long as I don't wear them on a wet and abrasive surface like asphalt or concrete, they will last many years and if the bottoms do wear out, I would probably replace them with buffalo.

Ogden

Forager
Dec 8, 2004
Forest of Odes
I tried Hi-Tec and Danner.Since two years I wear Meindl Perfekt.
Lundhags seem to make good shoes, but as far as I know the sole inside the boot is flat, so it feels like walking in rubber boots. Maybe this is not enough support when you walk with a heavy backpack (any experience?).
The Meindl Perfekt are quite heavy, but you will never spread your ankles. The sole is double stitched to the upper (Did you ever experience the sole simply falling off in high and dry zones when there is only glue between the sole and the upper?) It takes very long before boots like this are really comfortable, but it´s worth it.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Hello Ogden, in my opinion, the meindl boot is excellent as far as quality and everything I've read on them says they are one of the best, but when I bought a pair (perfekt), the toe box was too shallow for me. Which is why I ended up with the Vasque boots.

Too many years of boots with flat footbeds took their toll on my arches, so I need good support while hiking with a pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE