Footware..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
So.. what does everyone on whear on their feet! and this is a strictly non-walking/army boot thread.. i hate to ware walking boots.. i think its a phycological thing more than anything.. my feet came off so bad after an expedition a few years ago they took 12 months to fully recover and i can bring myself to put my feet in them these days! this summer i did a 3 day expadition on good ground on my skateing shoes which while compfortable are less than sutable on anything other then good ground (or a skateboard obviously)!

i'v looked at blunnies and am interested.. and trail running shoes but they are a little to colourful and seems a bit to light weight too!

so within that small criteria anyone got any ideas?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I've always worm military boots even since being a kid so my feet are used to them, in consquence I've never had a problem with them....having said that there are so many different types now that you're bound to find something that you get on with Mate.
I have a pair of Danner Stricker GTX 8"boots now that are gortex lined and although they look like army boots and support your foot/ankle like them they feel and weigh the same as trainers. I used a pair of Danner Arcadia while in the army too and they really were the dog's boll***s, the lacing goes right down to the toe so they fit perfectly... :super:

In the winter I revert to full on military and wear the LOWA German army mountain boots.

What about the Hi-Tech Magnums....sort of half an army boot and half a pair of trainers and half the cost of Danners? Or maybe a pair of the Karrimore KSB soft hiking boots.

Blimey....you said no militray/hiking boots but by the above I'm talking non-traditional.

I use outdoor trainers too...I've got a pair made by "North Face" which are gortex-lined and very good.

and in the summer I wear Reef sandles to mooch about in and Teva Sandles to do any proper walking in.....I find the Teva's give better support than the Reefs.

Hope that's helps mate :p

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/276002||lowa~@c~@b|0|user|1,0,0,1|16|I've got a pair of these Lowa trail shoes and would say they are fine excxept in wet area's or snow.
I would suggest that for a lot of the tear in the UK a pair of boots is a must,get along to a decent retailer and have a pair fitted.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i guess you can call my shoes "trail running shoes". They are both A-type walking shoes. One is gore-tex lined the other isn't. As you can see one of them is dark brown, so not colorfull at all. I like them over boots, because it doesn't creat so much resisitance to my ankle, making me more tired, which means i will end up dragging my feets. Worn down my boot sols so much that i eventually went right through them on both my feets ! Big U shaped hole on the heel.
shoes_front.JPG

shoes_side.JPG

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I really like Hi Tec Trails, but they're a bit hard to find these days. They're a sort of trainer boot, nice and light but far from waterproof.

These days I use a pair of Rogues from Unbeaten Tracks

Dave

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I've been wearing my Blundstones (Blunnies) which can be bought from here , mine are the 528's.

They are great so far.....very, very comfortable, and i feel i could even use them for day trips (in fact, im almost certain).

What type of wax should i use on them do you think? and how easy is it to wash them? (i know i should know that having worked in a mountain shop but i don't want to make a mistake on my blunnies :approve: :wink: )

Cheers.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Jake, if they're real leather (which it looks like they are) then you can't go far wrong with nikwax cream in what looks like a large polish tin....just rub it in with your fingers and leave it to dry....very good bit of kit! :p

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Nickwax in a tin. Unless they do their own brand.

Just wash them with a damp cloth and let them dry away from direct heat.

Put the nickwax on with your fingers jake and just rub off the excess with a cloth. The use of fingers helps melt the wax and therefore the leather absorbs it better.

Bill

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
haha reminds me of that simpsons episode when homer puts on more weight "if you would like to acquire a phone with bigger buttons please bash your key pad now!" :eek:):

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I usually wear a pair of Vasque Zephyr GTX boots. Comfortable, great support and near zero breakin time.

When rock hopping, steep trails and loose earth aren't going to be encountered, or when hunting, I wear these or something similar.

i0emocs.jpg

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Blunnie 500s are my everyday footwear, current pair 2 years old and still going strong. Comfy as well. Other than that unless I'm covering really rough ground I tend to wear sandles (some clarkes ATF ones) in summer and an ancien pair of salomon trail shoes in winter/bad weather.

Brynglas

Footwear for me obviously depends upon the task in hand.

If I'm working in the woods and using an axe or chainsaw I use my trusty old pair of National Coal Board (shows how long I've had them!) Dunlop re-inforced steel toe cap wellies, purely as they offer first class protection. These are getting a bit tatty now, but as I never have to walk far in them it's not a huge problem, I also wear chainsaw proof leggings to protect my legs, essential!!

If I'm just out for a local walk, foraging or bird watching etc. I use my lightweight purofort wellies, very comfortable and very quiet underfoot so they do the job.

As far as hillwalking/ mountaineering is concerned I've used Scarpa delta boots for years and I can't speak highly enough of them, my current pair is on it's third set of re-soles and they're just about coming to the end of their useful life after nearly nine years of hard use. For winter hillwalking/climbing and summer alpine use I have an old pair of scarpa fitzroy boots which are fantatstic, and do the job really well.

I'm also a huge fan of Romer desert boots, available from HM supplies at about £18 a pair you can't go wrong for hot weather footwear, all the best people are using them :)

I also own a pair of Lundhags boots which I've had for years, left over from the services, I bought them in Norway so I'm not sure if you can get them in the UK but they're absolutely fantastic in boggy moorland or winter hillwalking conditions as they have a rubberised foot section, they're really good for extended wear, I've tried the Lowa mountain boots which although very sturdy and comfortable, aren't a patch on my Lundhags.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE