Footprints in the snow -Galloway forest

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
Hi all,

I've just returned from an excellent trip to Scotland. Early in the week I was in the Galloway forest, the Loch Trool area. One day, whilst out showsnoeing near to Curleywee I came across some tracks in the snow. There were no other signs of disturbance on the ground. The snow was deep so any human would have left obvious sign.

I've photographed the tracks, and a print to the side is from the 'snowflake' on my walking pole for size comparison.

Any thoughts?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...FI/AAAAAAAAGmU/IE-y_duWo8k/s1072/IMG_0140.JPG

Jay

Lordyosch

Forager
Aug 19, 2007
Bradford, UK
The trail went on quote a way. I followed it about 50m then lost it. The location was quite high up, a small stream nearby, under the snow. Not an otter-likely location I'd have thought.

The pattern was front left, front right, rear right, left rear. There seems to be an outer edge in front of the 'toe' marks.

The snow was quite deep, I was on snow shoes but these paws were only a cm or two into the snow

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
It’s very hard to tell not knowing the condition of the snow.
If the snow was fresh and deep when the animal passed the track would look much bigger than it actually was but having said that the gait still looks quite short, if the surface of the snow had frosted and hardened and the animal traveling at speed the track could look foreshorten and compressed and make the gait look quite short? we may be just looking at a series of tracks between each bounding.
My first thought was otter or marten but the gait is to short and in reality I think it’s probably much smaller, but probably still a mustelid.
As for the tail drag, I have followed Otter tracks on sand for hundreds of meters and I have never found any sign of tail drag as yet, also with otter you would probably have found some body slides on any downhill sections.
What’s the diameter of your snow plate?
Have you got any more images?

Sorry Bro I’m no help atoll.......more questions than answers.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE