Foothold traps and spring traps. Legal to own??

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
As per title, is it legal for residents of the UK to own foothold traps and spring traps? The ones designed to trap mammals for the fur trade, and ones designed for river side/bank trapping of minks, otters etc.

I'd like to aquire a few as decorative gift for a friends pub. I tried fleabay and only american auctions showed up.. So is this a legal reason, or something else?

Obviously they won't be used to injure anything and are solely for decorative purposes. Any input will be appreciated!

Cheers chaps

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!

Yeah I guess the stereotypical bear trap design is what I was refering too, but also the ones in your second link.

I have little knowledge of trapping laws/restrictions and assumed only snares could be used to bag anything bigger than a rat.

I was kinda hoping to find old rusty ones, for a more authentic look amongst the pewter mugs and deac shotguns strewn about the walls..

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Many pubs around by me have these on display. Even a man sized one in one pub. Certainly not illegal to own or buy/sell. Definitely illegal to use as they are vile things.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Examples....

13468_jpg.jpg

276246C3-BC8B-48B8-8ED2-641216273800.jpg
mIAPvWhYXYAJEfQMpXtt2GQ.jpg

Usually loads to be found on ebay.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Usually loads to be found on ebay.

Just saying for OP's benefit. I tried purchasing one from Ebay a while go and successfully bid on one only to have the Auction pulled by Ebay at the last moment.
Should probably point out I also only wanted one for my studies in trapping over the years , not to use.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Yeah I just had a quick search before o try to studynwhat ones I'd like to get. And there weren't many..

Why would eBay yoink your bid?? I know of people whove bought all kinds of prohibited items from there, and I mean prohibited by our law not eBay's silly rules! Bloody stupid.

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
If you walked into my uncle's side door his hall is full of the traps from small ones for rats to ones that were placed outside of prisons to stop inmates getting very far, a few bear traps also. He said if anyone came in who shouldn't hopefully they would think better and turn around.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
If you walked into my uncle's side door his hall is full of the traps from small ones for rats to ones that were placed outside of prisons to stop inmates getting very far, a few bear traps also. He said if anyone came in who shouldn't hopefully they would think better and turn around.

Failing that you can always sleep naked in an arm chair at the end of the hall next to a barrel of farm grade lubricant and mutter "I've been waiting for you!". That's what I do.. Lol

Without wanting to upset anyone, I'd like to know now (after seeing new ones for sale over here) if it is legal to use specific types to catch and kill rats with? One place said we can use them on rats, mink and squirrel.. Can someone further this elaboration?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You can legally use body hold traps on rats - I suggest Fenn Mk IV (that's what I use). They must be used inside a tunnel though - either a natural one or an artificial construct (wire or wood). They are best concealed beneath loose soil or leaf litter. Rates are "neophobic" (fear of the new) so its best to ground bait the trap and let them get used to it before trapping.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE