Food shortage again?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well that's my defence too; they can't all upset me so I'll keep trying them - there are so many I'm sure to find one :) (I currently have around 30 single malts but I know people with hundreds!)

Reactions: Toddy

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Dreich.....a long dull, damp, relentlessly grey and gloomy kind of day.
It's a pan northern Europe word. I met (long story, I'll cut it short) with other archaeologists at a conference in Latvia a few years back. It was a right dreich day, and I said so. The Danish lady agreed and said her version of the same word, and the Swedish lady said something that sounded like, "Ja, dreechen". The Norwegian lady just nodded in full understanding :)

On the subject of Pan Northern Words theres a Cumbrian word I've heard from when I was a kid and suspect its a Northern European word.
Flaiten, meaning scared of something.
Or just flait.
Another one is Vanaye, meaning Nearly or Almost.
Good explanation on the Cumbrian Dictionary.
HERE.

Reactions: Paul_B and Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Aren't words fun ?
You call a gate a yat, here it's (well was, lot of incomers) a yett :)
We'd say feart instead of your flait.
Ver'near is how we'd say nearly or almost.

Reactions: demographic

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
One of my favourite words (sorry, heading off the original post again here) is drekly.
A good Cornish word meaning a time period of anything from 5 minutes to 2 weeks.
"I'll be there drekly".

Reactions: demographic

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Pringles for me. Once I pop I dissolve my mouth with their salt and vinegar flavour. Skin on the inside of my mouth goes white then starts to blister off!!! I still eat them!!!:oops: Why don't I take it as a good hint and stop eating them?!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Might be the fake sodium acetate seasoning.
I believe that Pringles are reconstituted potato pap with who knows what all additives.
Make your own. Add real vinegar and real sodium chloride salt.
Same result?

I make my own fries. Beets, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and yams.
3'30" @380F and they are done.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I used to really enjoy good bread to dip in a shallow bowl of good vinegar and olive oil.
I can't thole the vinegar any more, it does just what Paul_B says Pringles do to him.
Spoils the simple pleasure, it really does.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I used to really enjoy good bread to dip in a shallow bowl of good vinegar and olive oil.
I can't thole the vinegar any more, it does just what Paul_B says Pringles do to him.

Try supplementing with Worcestershire Sauce.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A mate from Barrow stock (with a geordie father though) once told me about some farming friends of his family on the wild west of Cumbria who still count their sheep in the traditional way. Yan, tan, tethera, etc. Iirc.

I did once here that a cumbrian farmer once got to represent his country in the sheep counting world championships. It was in Australia and its always hard to crack the NZ team. Anyway he did rather well because of his faster counting system using that traditional number system.

AIUI it's a hang up from a lost language across northern UK coming from northumbria iirc. There's variations across the north I believe. I did read online a table of variations and their regions of use.

As to my friend, his mum was x generation barrovian so knew everyone in that neck of the woods apparently .

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Have you tried a realy good balsamic vinegar with olive oil? Makes a realy nice bread dip, and salad dressing.

Talking to my local green grocer today he has said stuff is flying off the shelves. He looked very weary! He's worried again.
Keep stocking up folks. If not for this new covid scare then for brexit. Don't become complacent just because food stuff seems to be plentiful again. Look how quickly it went belly up last time. Could happen again and will if the bug doesn't get back under control. I think what we are seeing now is the tip of the iceberg. People have become fed up and very complacent .
I hope I'm wrong but don't say you weren't warned!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's the vinegar, my mouth just can't take it anymore. Too acidic or something like that. Salt and vinegar crisps do it to me too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
As a rule, I buy case lots of some things (A-wipe and Nose-blow) to save me store trips and to get exactly the brands that I want.

Right now, the whole world could go to hell and our meat & veg supplies are local and safe.

Really good Italian balsamic vinegars here are running $50- $75 per liter.
So I buy 250 ml bottles, doesn't hurt so much and they last for years, of course.
Good First Cold Press olive oils are never more than $20/liter but that will rise
with the deaths of so many Italian olive orchards. Greece is next, so I read.
I like a splash of each mixed on a saucer with chunks of my own baguettes.

My cupboards are full of canned and dry foods.
I should spend more time shopping at home than another store list.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been buying bigger packs of stuff.
I have several really good sources of foods just now that I can buy online and have delivered within 3 days. We're vegetarian so purchases like kgs of nuts are a great saving compared to tiny wee bags.

Like these I mean,

Highly recommend these folks, and their postage costs are incredibly reasonable.

Again, highly recommended.

This fellow's crystallised ginger is beautiful stuff :) and very cheap too.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Have you tried a realy good balsamic vinegar with olive oil? Makes a realy nice bread dip, and salad dressing.

Talking to my local green grocer today he has said stuff is flying off the shelves. He looked very weary! He's worried again.
Keep stocking up folks. If not for this new covid scare then for brexit. Don't become complacent just because food stuff seems to be plentiful again. Look how quickly it went belly up last time. Could happen again and will if the bug doesn't get back under control. I think what we are seeing now is the tip of the iceberg. People have become fed up and very complacent .
I hope I'm wrong but don't say you weren't warned!

Sorry, but I disagree - it only went belly up because people panic bought things like toilet rolls. Yes, things like bread flour were short but there was never a shortage of 'cake' :)

Don't panic, buy sensibly, don't create a problem that doesn't exist!

And anyway, the fields are full of sheep ;)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Don't panic, buy sensibly, don't create a problem that doesn't exist!

But most people will panic buy so it makes sense to stock up before the panic takes hold. It seemed obvious to me the last panic would kick in so I stocked up with toilet rolls when the shops were still full of them and they were on offer. It meant I didn't need to scrabble around for them when the great unwiped hoards were about and we didn't need to venture to the shops for a few months when the lockdown hit.

Anyway, round here it's the roads that are often full of sheep. That is when they're not full of cattle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE