Food shortage again?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Kirk means the church here.

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Little pot on the heat at the back of your grill.

2 tbs each butter and brown sugar.
1/2C dark rum and a glug of vanilla extract.
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Let that sit and melt together.

Lay the bananas on the bench. Slice in half to lay flat.
Onto the grill cut face down to begin with, maybe 4-5 minutes, turn and heat the skin side.

Plate the banana, big scoop of vanilla ice cream, generous splash of rum butter sauce.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Thanks. That makes a little more sense now. I am still curious though: while banana pudding does seem a little out of place in that setting, so does the banana bread and banana cream pie you mentioned?

Little pot on the heat at the back of your grill.

2 tbs each butter and brown sugar.
1/2C dark rum and a glug of vanilla extract.
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Let that sit and melt together.

Lay the bananas on the bench. Slice in half to lay flat.
Onto the grill cut face down to begin with, maybe 4-5 minutes, turn and heat the skin side.

Plate the banana, big scoop of vanilla ice cream, generous splash of rum butter sauce.

Sounds like a variation of Bnanas Foster without the flambé. I remember when the chow hall at Eglin Air Force Base used to make it for Thanksgiving adinner and Christmas Dinner.

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Maybe so. Sure does put a big foodie smile on everyone's face.
I'll bet that 1/2 pitted peaches would be a winner, also.

I'll report on the grocery situation tomorrow/Thurs. My volunteer will do my list after 4 PM today.
The next truck doesn't come until Friday so there may well be some gaps.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.

You like are easy. Try the Aberdonians. Even after four years they have to slow down and enunciate in the beaters wagon. I just shout "fit?" At them all.

Reactions: Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Banana fruit loaf.....not so much bread as a fruit cake, cut into slices and spread with butter.
Banana pies....wee tarts made like macaroons (those aren't the current obsession with pastel coloured wee discs) with coconut, egg and sugar topping to make the crust, the banana 'cream' is in the middle between the base pastry and the coconut topping....if you make it bigger it sets and gets cut into segments and served on a tea plate. It's not a thick 'pie', it more like the thickness of a currant cake. It's finger food, not needing a bowl and custard to enjoy.

Sorry, taken the thread totally OT again :rolleyes3:

The Doric's a whole other language :D
Some meet ups can be like the tower of Babel. My polite Lanarkshire, Russ from Fife, Stuart from the borders, the lads who come down from Aberdeen, the folks from Inverness, we even had an Orcadian fellow at one too. Mix that lot in with Edinburgh and Glasgow and the folks like Tam from Ayrshire and it can be fun :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Blimey, that takes me back :) We used to do that when I was a boy sprout. Too many years ago......
We used cooking chocolate Nutella was more expensive I think. I didn't like bananas back then. I don't now. It's the bit in between that I really liked bananas. Is it normal for you to hate, like and finally hate a food item???

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
A good few years back as a bachelor I was stressing about an outdoor group's AGM I was going to. It was a pudding and planning party? I got a good few courgettes from my parent's garden and being sick of them I also left with my mum's latest cake recipe. Courgette loaf!!!

I made one, it went very dark and I thought I'd burnt it. So with what I had left I made a second that I took out , it was lighter in colour. I took the light one and nobody but me tasted it until just before leaving. The other person loved it but since so much left I got to take it home. Glad people weren't adventurous enough to accept courgettes in a cake!!

Btw I got home and a few days later finished that loaf. I then turned to the burnt one. It was even nicer. I found out that burnt is not always burnt but sometimes caramelised.

People accept banana loaf also date and walnut, but I reckon there's a lot of other fruit and vegetables that you could make into cakes that you'd not think would work out. What's your strangest, surprise ingredient in cakes?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No local large farm eggs until Friday afternoon. I refuse to buy factory eggs from the grocery store.
That's a BIG gap here!!!!!!!

Surprise ingredient? Very fine dice (1/8") candied ginger in the bottom of a Thanksgiving pumpkin pie.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Is there room for one more bannana pie recipe?

Black bottom banana pie

Biscuit base .. chocolate digestives .
Next layer, chocolate angel delight. Chill in fridge untill firm.
Slice enough banana to cover the angel delight and then whip up some cream, and stir in a mashed banana. top the pie with the sliced banana and bannana cream.
My daughter invented this when she was 10 yrs old, 30 yrs ago.
It was something she could make with minimum cooking... but maximum mess!

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I went to Morrisons and they have the empty ones by the checkout.

Mind you, to amass such a number, it took several days.

You didnt think I ate that many bananas, did you? I have to be `very in the mood` to want to eat a banana; 50 boxes is probably several lifetimes worth.

Reactions: Allison McKenzie

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
@Toddy Yeah, our banana “bread” and/or banana-nut “bread” is more cake than bread also.
@Paul_B Absolutely it is normal for personal tastes to change over time.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You're right about that, and there's also the way that some can no longer eat food that they used to enjoy.
I liked bananas, but they, and kiwi fruit, make my mouth swell up inside now. It's like an inside trout pout thing and it feels like my tongue is too big for my mouth. I rather dread my throat swelling up with it too, so I don't have bananas anymore. It's a great shame, they're good food.

Additions to fruit though, add some fine ground black pepper to bananas. Surprisingly good in a fruit loaf or just baked and topped with syrup or ice cream.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, I can no longer eat most nuts raw, cucumber gives me severe indigestion, raw carrots and celery the same, and my stomach can't stand much raw fruit. We just weren't designed to live past 40 :(

What really scares me though is that I've had the odd 'twinge' after a glass of malt - now that would be difficult to give up!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE