Food shortage again?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It probably wouldn't be difficult, using social media, to create a panic buy. So, buy all you can of some produce, create a panic buy (especially of the produce you've just bought), then sell it for twice the price - instant doubling of your capital.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It’s pasta and rice that are in short supply here. They’re available, but like many other items some stores are limiting how many you can buy in a single purchase. Ammo is scarce as well

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Can you eat ammo?
Yes. Hunting season is just starting up soon and a great deal of meat will depend on an ammo supply (approximately 7 to 10 million hunting licenses sold in EACH of the eastern states) Normally this time of year the stores stock huge amounts for that very reason.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The shops round here are still not back to normal. I still notice the flour is a limited range, some tin beans and fruit are not available. Not much of a problem but something like bread yeast was out of stock for several months so stocking up on a few things seems sensible to me. It's also a bit of a trek to the supermarkets so if something is out of stock it'll be a couple of weeks before I can check again.

So, I've been sensibly stocking up. Along with the possible 2nd wave (or will that be 3rd?) there's brexit and now a poor wheat harvest so I don't expect the flour to get back to normal for a while yet.

Obviously hoarding for the sake of it and then throwing out stuff is to be avoided but keeping a decent amount of stock in seems more than sensible to me.

Reactions: Toddy

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We have just one smallish grocery store with two trucks per week.
They sell what's on the truck and that's where the shortages come from, not locals panic-buying.
In conversation, it's really easy to sense their frustration to "get shorted" again and again.
I've got items on my grocery list that have not been seen again in 3 months time.

The other thing here is the lack of seasonal farm labor. Huge veg farms south of me have depended on entire generations of Mexican families to come north for a few months for harvest. Show-case relationship
for housing and even school for the kids. But Canada Border Agency is being pi$$y about them.

I think that if you are accustomed to buying everything, you have to compromise.
I've been comfortable in the kitchen for decades so very little has really changed.
I laid in a few bags of different flours and made certain that I have a good inventory of different kinds of rice.
I like to make pasta. Easy to make in a big bowl with a stick and keeps well frozen.

Reactions: santaman2000

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sorry, can't color inside the box. My appetite needs encouragement.
Need to see big pieces of ripe fresh tomato on every pasta sauce.
And my own stained glass pasta in the dish.
I prefer my ham and pineapple as fillings for baked potato skins.

Reactions: Tsantsa

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you have the tomatoes, tinned or otherwise, you can always purée them yourself. But I’m like RV: I prefer a few chunks.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That is just.....dirty, yep no other word for it

Pineapple should be eaten on its own or as part of a strange custom of making something vaguely hedgehog shaped for a party 30 years ago
Pineapple goes with any pork. But almost always with ham (whether on a pizza, or sliced pineapple attached to a honey glazed ham as it bakes. Delicious when braised with pork chops.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Pineapple with any sort of savoury food? Come on guys, you are better than this! Hopefully a Mod will come along and lock the thread before any other wildly unsuitable dishes are proposed with a pineapple accompaniment! :)

• Sad
Reactions: Allison McKenzie

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Pineapple with any sort of savoury food? Come on guys, you are better than this! Hopefully a Mod will come along and lock the thread before any other wildly unsuitable dishes are proposed with a pineapple accompaniment! :)

But the juices in pineapple soften tough meats. They will slowly break down the connective tissues, and make even sinewy pork edible.
That's why gammon steaks are often served with pineapple rings.

Don't eat too much pineapple though, it'll break down you too. Chindits behind enemy lines came across a field of them and thought they were sorted for grub.....then their gums rotted and teeth started to fall out.

M

Reactions: santaman2000

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
But the juices in pineapple soften tough meats. They will slowly break down the connective tissues, and make even sinewy pork edible.
That's why gammon steaks are often served with pineapple rings.

Don't eat too much pineapple though, it'll break down you too. Chindits behind enemy lines came across a field of them and thought they were sorted for grub.....then their gums rotted and teeth started to fall out.

M

Juices also can be used to remove finger prints if applied daily. Or so I'm informed.

Reactions: Paul_B and Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE