Food safe wood for skewers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Seems to have the benefits of dandelion and foxglove.. likely less strong than either of those in the things you'd want from them though. Could be a life saver regarding the digitalis content. (not from cooking with it though :) )

Seems I have been under a false illusion about Spindle wood, it seems to have been used as pipe stems and tooth picks etc. for a very long time. Information seems scarce, but I found this:

http://www.druidry.org/library/trees/tree-lore-spindle

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
Seems to have the benefits of dandelion and foxglove.. likely less strong than either of those in the things you'd want from them though. Could be a life saver regarding the digitalis content. (not from cooking with it though :) )
Thank you for that link. It's not wise to use with cooking food, chemical reactions from food and heat would make it too risky. Although tooth picks would be direct oral contact. Not keeping the tooth pick in the mouth like a cowboy makes spindle less hazardous. I for one will avoid spindle for both activities from now on.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hazel because its the right shape to start with. Always hazel knocking about in a hedge somewhere. I found willow burns too quick a can leave a taste

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Have to give me a shout when you are next free for a woods trip ;)

One of my favourite warmer weather meals. Wholemeal pitta done on a heated rock. Ramson bulbs crushed up in natural yogurt as a dressing for the "woods kebab"
20150626_194650_zpsod0h70pb.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE