Food in a car

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Sandwedges make me depressed....

In this new job Im out all day and eat out of my car. (I know most people eat off plates but Im different)

I am used to hot food

I want some good ideas for healthy feeding.

I have a car kettle (a godsend) s I can make hot drinks, but pot noodles are almost as depressing as things with bread...

any suggestions of things I can make with boiling water?

also suggestions for entertainment....I have a laptop (am getting a car charger for it; at the moment the internal battery lasts about an hour) so I can write or watch DVDs. I also have books.

Ill think up some hobbies, take my portable model box perhaps...at the moment I am making a leather holder for my ID card...

But I may pack some boots and my gaiters (to keep me clean) so I can have a walk. Saturday I was 5 hours at Seven Springs in the cotswolds. so I need a way to keep occupied.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Why not try cooking something on the engine? Jacket spuds are good and easy - you could take some grated cheese, tuna, whhwatever takes your fancy.

Or how about pasta salads, rice salads, cous cous salads, all healthy and you can add whatever ingredients ya fancy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
You got a job!! Great stuff, well done! What are you doing?
I make stuff with boiling water regularly at work, I use a trangia rather than a car kettle though :D , get super (or cheaper still tesco/asda own) noodles musch cheaper and seem to be more filling!
Cous-cous is good, only needs hot water on it rather than boiling for X minutes.
In my trangia I like tinned stewed steak with tinned spuds. I put them in "baking bags" and then into boiling water, saves washing up as well as boiling water for a brew at the same time as cooking my food! This will work with most tinned food, you only have to heat it and its a hell of a lot cheaper than proper boil in the bag meals.
I remember there being a book about cooking on your car engine, but never tried it beyond warming pies/pasties! (top tip.... don't forget you put them there!! :rolleyes: )

You seem to have entertainment sussed, only thing that may help is a CB radio? you soon get bored just listening to the radio while driving, a bit of interaction cane really help. But with the Cb you have the obvious warnings, don't advertise you will be parked up at x for however long, you never know what wierdos you are talking to, or are listening in, much like t'interweb.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
I travelled round for two years visiting farmers and pretty much living on the road. Killing time between appointments was a real challenge. I suggest...

Save the front seats for work, put your files or whatever on the passenger seat and keep the back as somewhere to lounge. Put the passenger seat forward a bit and sit behind it so you have somwhere with legroom comfort and no pedals.

Stop at interesting looking shops and buy local specialities you see and like en route. Local fruit, smoked fish/sausages, pork pies, whatever. Rather than buy a sandwich I'd pick and mix from my buffet of goodies. Plus lunch becomes more interesting because instead of just choking down a sandwich you have to slice off a bit of something and then add a bit of that chutney. Maybe try it with some of that cheese. This keeps you occupied and takes longer. Don't know if that counts as healthy. But it was nice thinking of the different places as I ate the food.

Entertainment - I chose to read. Sometimes I sat silently and watched the world. Other times slept. I don't think I ever nailed the best approach. I know if I drove all day and had the radio too loud or tried to pay computer games or whatever it just became too exhausting. I think brains need time out so something like leatherwork or writing or anything else slow is good.

Look after yourself. I kept 2 litres of antifreeze/coolant, 2 litres of freshwater, a big jacket (I got one of the flourescent road worker insulated jobs, they're cheap too), a good blanket and a good first aid kit. I used them all. I got stuck in 9 hour hold ups. Stuck on snowy roads. First on the scene at accidents etc etc. When you are miles from anywhere and your car is stuck in a snowdrift and there's no mobile signal, you'll be a lot happier having food water and plenty of warm clothing. A few simple things make the diference between OK for days and hypothermia the first night!

Enjoy the experience and always keep your doors locked and the car in a position you can drive out of. Nothing bad ever happened but I had a plan just in case.

Scoops

Reactions: Toddy

EdS

US MRE are good to for emergincies as you don't need a stove for hot "food" - handy when you break down and it takes 9 hours for them to find you (like the Yorks. Dales are that much of a wilderness).

I eat in the car alot - a decent Greek salad or similar makes a good change from sarnies.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Tengu said:
Sandwedges make me depressed....

In this new job Im out all day and eat out of my car. (I know most people eat off plates but Im different)

I am used to hot food

I want some good ideas for healthy feeding.

I have a car kettle (a godsend) s I can make hot drinks, but pot noodles are almost as depressing as things with bread...

any suggestions of things I can make with boiling water?

also suggestions for entertainment....I have a laptop (am getting a car charger for it; at the moment the internal battery lasts about an hour) so I can write or watch DVDs. I also have books.

Ill think up some hobbies, take my portable model box perhaps...at the moment I am making a leather holder for my ID card...

But I may pack some boots and my gaiters (to keep me clean) so I can have a walk. Saturday I was 5 hours at Seven Springs in the cotswolds. so I need a way to keep occupied.
Like you I used to work away from home, which entailed spending long periods of time ‘living’ in my car. I found that preparation was the key. I have in the past relied on the dreaded sandwich until I discovered wide-necked flasks and the ever useful trangia.
I used to keep a cardboard box of camping gear in the back of my van, with cups plates knives and spoons, a stove and an inch thick ply-wood board which I used as a table. If the weather is dry it only takes but moments to set up a stove and a couple of pints of water on the boil. Whilst you are waiting, you get to eat the contents of the wide-necked flask. I was partial to stew, or sausage and mash. I worked with a chap who had meat and two vegetables from a flask, most weekends.
I’ve cooked in some of the oddest places, lay-bys, under bridges, park benches next to the car. Half an hours work and you have a hot meal a hot drink, a relaxing read. And the rest of your time you can spend napping or reading paperwork
Good foods for the car, depending on the time of year.
Winter time, keeping pork pies pasties cooked meats cheese salad making things like vinegar olive oils mustard etc is not a problem, I’ve stored food in my car boot for several days.
Summer is harder, but most village shops will still sell you two slices or ham or a couple of ounces of cheese. If you take a pre-boiled potato, and get the rest of your stuff when you stop at some local shop, buy some fresh eggs, and you are all fixed up. Use your frying pan (or trangia lid) to heat up the cold potato (use some oil to stop it sticking) , add two beaten eggs, cook until firm but still fluffy . Turn over and put back into the pan, add the ham/meat what ever, then the cheese, put on the lid and cook until the cheese has melted. If you do it right, you have a light fluffy frittata. Either eat it with a fork or cut slices and put in some French crusty bread. Boiled eggs and bacon is just as easy. Thin sliced whole chicken breast takes longer but is nice with just some black pepper. Again either in bread or on its own. Any thing that you can cook before hand makes your lunch time that bit more relaxing.
Try stopping 40 minutes before lunch and heating up a Cornish pasty wrapped in two layers of thick foil you can use the exhaust manifold of most older cars. (It doesn’t matter if the food is not scalding hot, as the food is pre-cooked.)
My recommendation is what ever you take, take condiments as well. English mustard salt vinager black pepper, olive oil. It adds a hell of a lot of flavour to everyday foods, I’ve even been know to use it to make service station food more palatable
(ok that is not strictly true, hunger after three days living on boiled sweets and chewing gum, is what made the food palatable, the English mustard just took of the edge)
audio books and magnetic scrabble always good to pass a few hours.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm another person who has, in the past, spent a lot of time eating in my vehicle.

I agree that being prepared is the best plan. We all have different food tastes and routines that we like so I don't know what's best for you.

I have one of those car fridges, that also warm things up to 50C. I also have a portable gas stove and I did have a kettle but it was overheating the thin wires that go to the cigarette lighter (I had to put in a bigger fuse too). I stopped using it and took along a thermos flask instead.

I was bored with sandwiches too and I started to buy wraps instead. I'd make a sandwich with a cheese I like (usually Emmantal) lettuce leaves, tomatoes and mayonnaise. I also often bought a fresh baguette during the day and would prepare a sandwich in the vehicle with ingredients I'd brought along, like butter, olives, Greek salad, etc.

Packet soups are nice on cold days and can be made using your hot water. The better quality ones tend to taste better. Instant noodles are IMO a lot tastier than pot noodles and can be made by soaking them in boiling water (but they turn out better if you can actually boil them for a couple of minutes).

Canned food can be warmed up fairly quickly using either a portable stove or the car fridge/warmer. They can also be warmed up on the engine. Just find a safe spot and remove any paper label.

I like fresh coffee and I have a portable one cup filter. I'll prepare it before leaving with a scoop of coffee. I have a thermal cup and I put sugar and powdered whitener in the cup before I leave home. Just put the filter on top of the cup, pour hot water from a thermos into the filter and you've got fresh brewed coffee (or use one of those disposable filters).

I take along healthy snacks too like peanuts, energy bars (the good ones), fruits and bananas.

Like "Tadpole" I've cooked in lay-bys, supermarket car parks, under bridges and anywhere else I thought I could get away with it and I never had any trouble or hassle. I think people who see you might find it a bit eccentric but they also are probably thinking "what a good idea." (So long as you and your vehicle look reasonalby presentable. :D )

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As already mentioned, a little cooker such as a trangia, or a gas version will make your cooking a lot easier. Eggs can be frozen, believe it or not, and when they thaw out you can make scrambled egg or an ommelette. How easy is that? The sewdish trangia is cheap as chips, talking about chips you can knock out fresh chips on a swedish trangia so long as you don't dump all of the chips in at once. So now you can make omelette and chips with the same cooker!!

You could fry a steak in it aswell, or do a stew of some sort, a curry, chili or soup. In fact, you can cook anything as long as you put your mind to it with the trangia, it just takes a little longer than the cooker at home!

One of those in car fridges are amazing bits of kit, they can be turned off and the one I have has a seperate lid to use it as a normal cool box on the beach or whatever. I don't know how long you will be on the road for at a time, but if it is summer, packing it full of bottled water to keep cool for drinking will be a godsend. Keep the stuff you want to boil out so that it is warm and doesn't take so long to boil!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Another tip regarding portable fridges/coolboxes, don't bother with those silly blue freeze block thingies, use frozen bottles of water(or even milk!) so you have chilled water or just water in an emergency, rather than a plastic block filled with coloured water!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Wow, I'm learning more than I thought I knew about eating on the road.
Whenever I set off for a spell away from home, I have the leftovers from homemade meals, some frozen, some refridgerated and one freshly made - that way you have food ready for consumption as others thaw for eating in the days to come.
Wasting time in the car doesn't come easy, so I often take along my hammock and I've got to know where I can hang it for a quick nap when off road parking presents itself. I've got fed up of pulling into a quiet layby in the early hours only to wake and find there is a thriving business going on at a burger van, only a few yards away :(

ATB

Ogri the trog

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
Goose said:
In my trangia I like tinned stewed steak with tinned spuds. I put them in "baking bags" and then into boiling water, saves washing up as well as boiling water for a brew at the same time as cooking my food! This will work with most tinned food, you only have to heat it and its a hell of a lot cheaper than proper boil in the bag meals.

goose you got a link were you buy these bags from

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Aragorn said:
goose you got a link were you buy these bags from
No links, but you get them from Tesco and Asda, they are sold as either baking or roasting bags. Just large polythene type bags but are heat resistant. Ludlow survivor(I think) posted a picture of one of the larger turkey bags being used to boil water in. The turkey bags are huge and about a pound for two, but you can get the smaller ones that will take a couple of tins for about a pound for ten.

Here is some info on the type of bag I mean, but didn't find an online supplier.
http://www.terinex.co.uk/pdf/013_03.pdf

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Have you not got those integral roof bars tat so many cars have these days? If you have, there is one hammock hanging point already, all you need is a tree or lamp post and you are sorted.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I forgot to thank you all for your advice.

Ill let you know how I do after a few weeks of trying it out.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
One thing nobody mentioned about being stuck in a car for 9 hours is getting out for a wee!!

However I have just invested on a box of these TravelJohn I have no idea if they work but if its the differrence between being able to go in relative comfort or having to improvise then I reckon its £4.95 well spent :)

(Yes they are designed for ladies too)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE