Food for Free - Roadkill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Nightwalker said:
Regards the legal issues of taking road kill (brought up by ludlowsurvivors), I would be more concerned when taking a dead lamb/sheep, infact personally I dont think I would take one, but thats me. The reason I wouldnt is because they are somebody's livestock and im guessing that because of the size of the animal chances are the death of the animal will be reported faster than say a pheasant and the livestock owner will probably retrieve it in time to make some use of it, and after all it is his produce. As for a pheasant, no one bothers about a dead one on the road and it will normally just be left there to get ran over a few hundred times.

What other road-kill animals have you folk bagged?

Ironically for the farmer if someone did take it, they would actually save him money. Yes it would involve some paprtwork to report it missing, however to dispose of your own livestock legally now is a very expensive business in the UK nowadays. When I used to work fitting dairy parlours, there was one farmer who would just make a quick call and have a friend conviently arrive late at night and "steal" any dead livestock during the calfin season as it was just too painful of his pocket otherwise.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
Really? Thats interesting.
I presume once livestock has been found dead its obviously not considered fit to be butchered for public consumption because it hasnt been killed at a liscenced slaughterhouse. And I suppose with a farmers busy schedule they might consider it to much hasle to have butchered for their own use :confused:

So farmers cannot just put the carcase in the earth or burn it? Probably not in this age.

Feygan

Forager
Oct 14, 2006
Northern Ireland
Hellllllll noooooo :)

Just to illustrate all the famers I knew when I was working on the dairies had to first of all keep the animal until someone certified to take dead livestock could arrive. then lots of paperwork ensued and the animal had to be taken to a specically certified incineration facility, where more paperwork was filled in. All of this was done and then billed to the farmer in question.

When you see how much goes into the whole process it's scary, we keep less tabs on the transfer of a prisoner than we do on one small dead calf. Whereas if it's lost, well the farmer just reports it and does very little else, either way the animal cost is lost but least he doesnt incur other fees too.

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
Feygan said:
On this subject I nearly had me a whole sheep this morning :)

I was driving a bus load of drunkards back from a club, when along one section of road I saw quite clearly the total wooly thing lying there stiff as, Ive seen them a few times on that stretch normally they wander upto the road edge from the field and watch the traffic. This one obviously went for the extreme close up.
If it hadnt't been for my passengers it would have gone straight in, I was sorely tempted to go back with the car if it wasn't for the fact that traffic police go up and down there all the time and I didn't know how I would explain loading an entire sheep into my boot :lmao:

But definitly a missed opportunity there. The amount of things I could have had, tasty roast leg of lamb tomorrow and maybe by the end of the week a fully made fleese lined sheepskin body warmer. The thing only looked about 18-24 months too.

You should have went back for it, nothing like a bit of woolly deer :D some of my favourite meat there! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE