Food Food Food!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
Hey there!

Haven't been on here in a while so thought id post something fairly useful or interesting for bush crafters and survivalists alike.

as you all probably know we all need food to live. so I have been wondering dose anyone go out of there way to have nutritional or great tasting meals when your up the hills and glens? or do you sort after what will supply you with the calorie intake you need and forget about flavor?

im sure you all have your own recopies and favorable scoff to take on the trail, feel free to post any recipies or food items you take or whether you resort to military rat packs or civvi camping rations.

say you plan to go out for a week or so, roughly whats your budget for food and what kind of things do you go for?

im a keen outdoors enthusiast/bush crafter/survivalist and my career just happens to be a chef so food is obviously a big thing for me when i go up and out.

if you would like any recipes for certain meals or food items i tend to take with me or even at home feel free to ask :)

also are there any wild foods that you just cant get enough of? do you hunt or trap anything?

I look forward to your reply's :)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
If going away for any length of time I take 500g rice, 500g pasta a few cuppa soups [good for an easy sauce] a couple of stock cubes, some noodles and some fresh veg - onion, carrot, swede, potato - basically anything I can nick out of the fridge or garden, perhaps a small quantity of cheese and bread and a little meat. Then some fruit as snack - mainly apples as they seem to travel well. Also packets of tea/coffee, hot chocolate etc [supplied from stays in hotels].

not very adventurous perhaps but it feeds me.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
To be honest, it depends.
It depends on where I'm going and who I'm going with.

My own dietary requirements are 'different', so I adjust things so that I can feed myself and others without fuss.
If I'm on my own or with friends who are vegan or vegetarian the foods we make are very different from the foods I prepare when among folks who eat, well no offence intended, but plainer and meat based diets.

I like foods like quinoa, nut and seed patties, tofu, masses of vegetables, lentil cakes, rich sauces and gravies, corn and rice and potato flour instead of wheat, and I use ground almonds for milk instead of cow's or soya. I'm also an old fashioned Scots housewife in my cooking, and I do use a lot of oats :) Everything from oatcakes to skirlie, brose to toasted for over cranachan. I make and use a lot of dried fruits and herbs too.

I think my way is easier, I don't worry about refridgeration for instance, nothing will go off in the heat, it's all relatively light weight and it's tasty :)

cheers,
Toddy

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Most of the time I'm out I live on packet pasta meals with milk powder, cheese or butter, garlic powder and something like a mattessons sausage or Chorizo sliced up and added in. Marmite often gets added to keep the munchy insects from having a good feast on me.
Cous-cous is a regular too becuase its just about instant and if its plain cous-cous, it gets a packet of cup o soup mixed in for flavour.

Breakfast tends to be instant porridge with dried fruit, or cereal with milk made from powder in the warmer times.

In the day, I survive on flapjacks, nuts and food that doesn't need cooking. Oatcakes with cheese are nice, compact and filling. Potato farls with poppy seeds are a fave too as they taste good for brekky, lunch and also go great with pasta.

Custard powder made up and poured onto sweet waffles is another winner.

Nicholson95

Feb 24, 2011
Livingston
some very interesting ideas, i did think that there would be allot of "cup-a-soups" and dryed foods and nuts. i try to avoid cup-a-soups and pot noodles etc.
I my self take allot of nuts, oats and various fruits if packed well they wont bruise or bash too much, and for milk i use UHT long life milk, keeps rather well but powder is allot lighter but as i often drink milk on its own i prefer UHT over dryed or powdered for flavour. rice is a big one for me i do prefer it cooked in a risotto style rather than boiled. i also take up knorr stock cubes as i find them better than the other brands, seasonings like salt, pepper, thyme, nutmeg (< makes a lovely cup of tea), rosemary and honey as you all probably know that honey doesn't spoil. Coconuts are great to take up. some john west tinned tuna or the john west tuna steaks in the foil packets are pretty good for flavour. beans if i must.... i take up cured or dryed meat too. i like pancetta and chorizo or some other salami/ pepperoni type sausage. i often bring up a bread mix or bannock mix. i sometimes sneek a haggis up if i want to treat myself. another faveroute is neeps or sweet potato or butternut squash. all great things to take up :)!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE