Following the trail of the marmots

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
My brother, a friend and I went last Sunday on our Mount Cimone - Appennines - in order to observe the population of marmots just before the lethargy.

Here we are at the beginning of the trail: behind us we have the mounts of the near province of Bologna.

On the summit of Mount Cimone - at 2165 m - there is a military meteorological observatory. There are also some ski lifts for the joy of the winter tourists, but they don't reach the top of the mount, obviously.

During the ascent we meet a Cranberry prairie with some "guests": some field mushrooms.

Soon after - we are at 1785 m - we arrive to a little watershed lake.

After about an hour's walk from the start we reached Pian Cavallaro - we are at 1900 m. On the horizon we can see the mounts of the near provinces of Reggio and Parma.

We stop in order to take a picture of these gentians and then we go back to walk.

After another half a hour we stop at our observation point, on the north side of the mount. We are between 2000 and 2100 m.

During the lunch break we receive the visit for which we came here... This marmot was no more than 5 m from us!

The last pic is for my silent friend ;)

Thanks for looking and I hope you liked it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE