Folding stove in a lavvu

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

emrock

Nov 17, 2011
East Anglia
Hi,
I'm finally planning in getting a folding stove from Seek Outside for my Bergans 4-6 Lavvu. This is similar to the the kifaru and ti-goat models. However I don't want to use a stove jack as the lavvu already has a huge vent in the top, so does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can insulate the chimney so it doesn't melt the tent fabric?
thanks
Emma

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
It would be fairly easy to fashion one from household items like sink drainers. Im sure twodogs did similar for his but that was on his old solid flue system. If you use the Ti rolling flue then you will need to be very careful about how much weight you hang from it. Some 1000C welding mat wrapped round may be a way forward but if it was me id have a stove jack fitted.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I used a stainless tube that was bigger than the flue and stuffed it with fibreglass insulation to hold it in place

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Any kind of tube to hold the material a couple of cm away from the flu, weld mat and a couple of jubilee clips to hold it in place I guess but don know how that stuff holds up to constant heat, I just made a roll of cage to put the flu through the top off mine, these are built for stoves, they do not need a stove jack.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com

emrock

Nov 17, 2011
East Anglia
have been thinking that a piece of stove jack fabric sewn of velcroed into one of the triangular gaps in webbing in the top of the lavvu might work? Then I could just open the top hat enough so that it wasn't touching the pipe?

I also like the idea of adding stove jack to the top hat/hood.

emrock

Nov 17, 2011
East Anglia
How does the roses' tin lid work? I can't picture it.

Also does anyone know where to get some reasonably priced stove jack silican type fabric? I don't need the cover that comes with most of them as the hole can be covered by my lavvu top hat thing. I just need a triangular piece to fit between the weebing on the top of my lavvu.

Though in the short term I think I will use chicken wire or maybe an old food tin.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
The whole idea of using a second skin around the flue, spaced a couple of inches around it, is to allow the air to move.

With a gap around the flue, if there is any heat within the flue, it will cause the warm air to rise - cooling the outer sleeve - but, just as importantly, drawing fresh air into your tent lower down. If you stuff this gap with insulation, air will not move as freely, and the outer sleeve can get hot - sometimes hot enough to melt or burn delicate fabrics. I know that this system is used on some tents built for extreme cold regions, where the cold combats any radiated heat effect - but if you try to use the same approach here in balmy Blighty, you could find that things don't go as you expect. You may also find that in blocking a major air vent, your tent becomes stuffy and filled with carbon monoxide, giving you headaches (or possibly much worse).

ATB

Ogri the trog

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Do not try to clamp anything to the Seekoutside foil chimney - it WILL collapse - its thin Ti foil! Use a stove jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE