folding saw reccommendations?

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
hi
I am sure this has come up before so I did a search here but I didn't find anything.

I am looking for a quality folding saw because I want to make bigger fires than snapping twigs can make!

I remember reading about a popular one but its name has left me. So if anyone can recommend one I would be really grateful.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Silky I think they do different sizes, also Bahco You may find them cheaper if you shop arround.

No connection to the shops in any way.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As well as the above saws, take a look around your local gardening centre. My saw is a Spear and Jackson which cost about 3 quid a few years back. It is still sharp as hell and will cut seasoned and green wood no problems. It isn't green, but then not everything has to be! It does lock in both open and closed positions though, something I would suggest you go for as the clacky wire saws allow the blade to fall open at anytime and could pose a hazard if it is in a pack and you reach in!

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Sliky pocket boy. Designed to cut wood as quickly as possible, thats why nearly all tree surgeons use them. The large fixed handled ones are as quick as a chainsaw and a lot lighter.

leon-1

Unfortunately not cheap, but either of the Opinel saws are very good. However be aware that the larger version needs careful use, I know people that can just look at one and snap a blade and the replacement blades are so expensive you may as well buy a new saw.

The smaller folding pocket saw is a very good bit of kit especially if you are going to be making a bucksaw as something that can candle a larger log in a very much shorter time than most any other saw.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I have a Bahco lapplander but it's the orange version. It's cheaper than the green 'Bushcraft' version and you don't lose it when you put it down! Last year, Tim used his, put it down and spent three hours looking for it. I found it by accident so i thought i'd get an orange one! If you do opt for a green one, you could always thread some hi-vis para cord throught the lanyard hole!

mazeman

Forager
Jun 7, 2007
Porthmadog, Gwynedd
I've got a Lidl one, which is ok, but it's not a match for my Laplander (and yes, I've got some hi-vis on the lanyard loop; and on my firesteel too since the pixies had my last one!).

leon-1

...and I thought I would be the only one recommending an Opi! I find the wood easier on both my eyes and hands, but thanks for the tip about the larger version.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Neil1 likes the large version, but he has had problems with the blade snapping, he now uses the smaller version and has been for about a year and has had no problems with it. I use the large version all the time (I have been for a long time) and find it cuts better than the Bacho ones, but there is a definite difference in price.

The smaller one will be my next purchase as far as saws are concerned and if I need anything bigger I'll make a bucksaw.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Sliky pocket boy. Designed to cut wood as quickly as possible, thats why nearly all tree surgeons use them. The large fixed handled ones are as quick as a chainsaw and a lot lighter.

i think thats a tad exadurated but silky do make great saws. also silky saws make a much cleener cut that other saws such as a laplander which is better if your a tree sergeon. also i would never dreem of taking down a tree with a silky saw alone!:eek:

also i have to ask why don't anyone use a sheath saws? does it have to fold?
surely a sheath saw has less things to go wrong, no lock to fail.
silky make a small sheath saw with a 24cm blade also it comes in yelow if you want it to be hi-vis

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I have used Lightfoots bacho a few times in the past and was a wonderful tool to use. I recently tried a Stanley make of pruning saw that was given to me by a friend and it was absolutely awful ! The first time i used it the blade bent into a complete right angle :eek:

So ill be ordering a bacho then....

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
As Leon said, I have been using the opinel saws for some time, the smaller one fits in your pocket and you wont know you are carrying it, til ya need it!
For the vast majority of tasks in bushcraft its all you will need (if the log is that big - burn it from the end- and feed it into your fire).
Its also lighter to carry. I see bushcrafters regularly laden down with all sorts of top-notch kit, work out what the minimum you can get away with is, your body will thank you for it.
N

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE