folding saw reccommendations?

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I dont get it!! I got mine from Wilkinsons for £2 odd and it works just great. How come bushcraft stuff follows brand names anyway, its not a fashion show.

I've got a Lidl one, which is ok, but it's not a match for my Laplander (and yes, I've got some hi-vis on the lanyard loop; and on my firesteel too since the pixies had my last one!).

:eek: No way! My liddles saw was so good I bought 5 and gave them away to folk as campfire gifts. Mine will beat a bahco anyday for speed of cutting! Maybe it's the way I use it! :lmao: I refuse point blank to spend £15 plus on a saw when one at £2.99 will cut better and last just as long! It's as good as any sandvick saw I have bought and used in the past for when I worked with trees!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I suppose at the end of the day, it boils down to how much of a disposable income you have. The Bahco cuts on the push and pull strokes, whereas the rest cut on the pull stroke only. Saying that, it makes little difference. My 3 quid saw will get through wood in maybe a second less than a Bahco Lapplander, is one second that much really?

leon-1

I dont get it!! I got mine from Wilkinsons for £2 odd and it works just great. How come bushcraft stuff follows brand names anyway, its not a fashion show.

Silky's tend to be arborists saws, as such they have a good reputation among a lot of outdoor workers, the Opinels that Neil1, Ogri and I use have pretty much the same tooth pattern that you would find on a Silky and we are all experienced of using Opinel stuff for years (so with us it's habit having known, it tried and tested it), the Bacho's have a good name and they have also been made popular by Mr Mears (being probably the most publicised bushcrafter in the UK).

It's not a competition, who's got best, but all of these saws have a reputation that has been established over a period of time and as such people know what they are getting before they buy because they have either tried one, tested one or had it recommended by a friend.

At the same time you can go out and find a gem at your local B&Q made by a company that nobody's ever heard of, but it's the amount of time you spend and the amount of money you spend looking for that gem that sometimes means you would be better off buying something which is tried and tested.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I suppose at the end of the day, it boils down to how much of a disposable income you have. The Bahco cuts on the push and pull strokes, whereas the rest cut on the pull stroke only. Saying that, it makes little difference. My 3 quid saw will get through wood in maybe a second less than a Bahco Lapplander, is one second that much really?

Yeah,

If want to make a real difference, could just take a bowsaw blade and build a frame.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Build-an-Ultralight-Portable-Buck-Saw/

About a fiver for a blade, and probably just as light as folder.

From a social anthropological view, culture, status and identity strike me as more important factors in determining what one chooses to use as their prefered tools rather than basic economics.

It's a complex subject, but I'm still sticking to my Liddels saw even though I bought five and could have bought any one of the more expensive saws with that same money! :D

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
Its not about culture, status or identity.

For me I want a saw that others are using and have found well to use. My concerns are that I will buy a saw that turns a log into mush, snaps and bends within the first few goes leaving me cold and hungry and exhausted.

I don't want to fork out for 2 maybe 3 saws before i get a half decent one. I would rather ask opinions on people who are using the equipment. They always have the best informed opinion.

If I told anyone about bushcraft brand names I dont think they would care too much! Heck, I dont care and I dont know anything about brand names!

What I care about is quality and long term use. This is what I am willing to pay extra for.

So your suggestions have informed me there are some popular choices out there. Thanks guys.

I cant wait to be building a bigger fire!

The last one I had I managed to cook some mussels but I had to constantly feed the fire with twigs. Hopefully a few larger lumps of wood will give me a little rest and a longer burn.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Leigh, just get the Laplander; I have had cheaper and they work, for the extra few quid the Laplander will prove fantastic value. I was given one by a forum member over a year ago, "its been used and its on its last legs, but give it a try" said he, I'm still using that saw now and it works great.

I used a bright yellow florabest saw from Lidel for 2 years with no problems at all ,,, until i lost it ,,, I just got a couple from Aldi 2 for a fiver they work fine the blades are perfectly tempered and wont bend or snap If the handles put you off try a re handle project on one :) If I do lose this kind of saw I wont be to bothered , I know a guy who had one of the fancy saws took it on a canoe trip ,,, plop oh how I laughed

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
Bahco 360 hp had one for years bought it years ago, had a number of new blades. Got if originally for pro use but is excellent bushcraft saw.

andywinkk

Nov 12, 2007
wigan
www.garmentsdirectltd.co.uk
I used a bright yellow florabest saw from Lidel for 2 years with no problems at all ,,, until i lost it ,,, I just got a couple from Aldi 2 for a fiver they work fine the blades are perfectly tempered and wont bend or snap If the handles put you off try a re handle project on one :) If I do lose this kind of saw I wont be to bothered , I know a guy who had one of the fancy saws took it on a canoe trip ,,, plop oh how I laughed

Ha ha it didnt make me laugh i loved that saw, I now use disposable saws from lidle, tryed and tested and they are good

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
I no longer use a folding saw, I found this sliding one, the blade is stored inside the handle. It is a bit smaller than a folder but fits in my pocket so much better, and there is little that it can't tackle. I can strongly recommend it.

saws2.jpg

saws1.jpg

:)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I use one of them.
Brilliant saws They come in two sizes. the small one will fit in a response pack.
it will out cut a laplander (we did a test at the moot a few years back)
plus it's easily available from B&Q/Homebase and has a lifetime guarantee.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
I no longer use a folding saw, I found this sliding one, the blade is stored inside the handle. It is a bit smaller than a folder but fits in my pocket so much better, and there is little that it can't tackle. I can strongly recommend it.

saws2.jpg

saws1.jpg

:)

Are you also recomending the Wilco one?? I notice it has a high carbon steel blade. How does the Sliding one compare to the Wilco One??

Pang

Forager
Sep 8, 2007
london
laplander would be my choice, when it comes to bushcraft a few extra quid makes all the difference, youn can immediatly tell the difference from operating an inferior tool compared to a superior tool.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
the point is, (in my mind at least), the wilkinson sword saw is not an inferior tool.
It cuts better, has good build quality, has a failsafe design, and has a lifetime guarantee.
Plus I think it's cheaper, and it is easily available.

Having used both, I'd call the laplander the inferior tool.

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Personally I find the Wilkinson slider a pain in the backside. I find that when the wood binds a bit, the blade slides back into the handle when you push forwards, often allowing your hand to thump into the log.

I guess I should be more careful! :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE