folding saw reccommendations?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
the point is, (in my mind at least), the wilkinson sword saw is not an inferior tool.
It cuts better, has good build quality, has a failsafe design, and has a lifetime guarantee.
Plus I think it's cheaper, and it is easily available.

Having used both, I'd call the laplander the inferior tool.

I have used both, and your right, the Wilkinson Sword saw does cut better/faster, I'm not so sure about build quality, although the Wilky is definitely much more solid in the body than the Laplander, which has a tendency to flex.

However, We use the laplander saw for our bushcraft events, for issue to members of the public and the reason for this, is because; while I have seen two Wilkinson blades lose their tips ( top 30-50mm) I have not yet seen anyone break a Laplander blade. I'm sure people do, but in my experience they bend, rather than snap and can even be straightened up again (more or less).:bluThinki

So, once again, it's a case of compromise-do you have a saw that cuts very fast but is not as forgiving of the odd snag or twist or do you go with one that cuts a bit slower but can take a bit more abuse in the hands of beginners/less frequent users?

I don't think it's a case of one being inferior to the other, either way, they both have good points and bad points from my point of view.

All the best
R.B.

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Nice one interpidstu, no I do not recommend the Wilko one in fact it is absolute rubish, even has ordinary saw teeth no good at all for green timber, the wife bought it for her to do some light pruning in the back garden.
Whatever you do DO NOT buy the Wilko.
The bigest plus for the slider is the small size fits very easily in the pocket, I work outside and I don't even notice it is in my pocket, yet it is man enough to tackle my needs.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Just a correction/amendment to my earlier post:
I was referring to a folding Wilkinson Sword saw, NOT the one pictured with the "wilko" one. I have no idea on build quality on the one pictured.

apologies for any misunderstanding ;)
R.B.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Nice one interpidstu, no I do not recommend the Wilko one in fact it is absolute rubish, even has ordinary saw teeth no good at all for green timber, the wife bought it for her to do some light pruning in the back garden.
Whatever you do DO NOT buy the Wilko.
The bigest plus for the slider is the small size fits very easily in the pocket, I work outside and I don't even notice it is in my pocket, yet it is man enough to tackle my needs.

You wont believe how close I cam to popping to Wilkinsons (Its about 2 mins from me). Im so glad I didnt.
Nice one.
Stu.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE