Folding Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
I was recently reading Ray Mears essentail bushcraft, when i came across a piece of information that i found intresting, he mentions that a folding blade is a big no when i comes to bushcraft because the blade can collapse on yor fingers. When i'm out practicing bushcraft i always got a folding knife with me as i find it alot easier to carve small pieces of wood. I'm just wonder if there is any truth in this statement, or should i stop using my folding knife.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
It really depends what you are doing - small whittling tasks are fine, slitting large pieces of log and large carving no :D its just a matter of being sensible and using the right tool for the job.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
There are folding knives and then there are folding knives. :rolleyes:

The amount of knife work that you would do on something like the Woodlore Fundamental course would dictate the use of a fixed blade much of the time. They can be more comfortable and stronger for heavy or prolonged use.

However. There are plenty of times when a folding knife is very handy. I have a Doug Ritter RSKMk1 and use it a lot, both for carving, fire lighting, and food prep. It has a good lock and was designed for these things. I have a non-locking Schrade Stockman that I use for whittling, as my grandfather used to...no problems there, just know the limitations of your tools.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
there is a section in the book "bushcraft" by mors kochanski on the safe use of folding knives in the bush. its an extreamly good book to read if you are thinking of getting involved in bushcraft

(note: I cannot claim this to be an unbiasd recomendation as I know the author)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
In addition to a fixed blade knife I normally carry a singled bladed Wenger Swiss Army Knife on a cord aound my neck, use it for small jobs, cutting string and little stuff, fine carving etc.

I cannot claim this to be an unbiased opinion though, because I once served in the Swiss Army

D

Deleted member 4605

Horses for courses. My 'nessmuk trio' is a hatchet, Frosts Mora and an Opinel which I've nicknamed my kitchen knife as I use it almost exclusively for food prep with a little bit of fine whittling.

Stuart said:
there is a section in the book "bushcraft" by mors kochanski on the safe use of folding knives in the bush. its an extreamly good book to read if you are thinking of getting involved in bushcraft

I've just picked this one up after looking at someone else's copy earlier in the week, and I can safely say it is my new 'bible'. :D

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
It's an old saying but still valid. A tool is only as good as how you use it.

I grew up on the farm using a simple folding pocket knife. I used it for everything - from whitling to cutting baler twine to cleaning nails and removing splinters. Even cut a blown tire off of a rim. Never had a locking blade pocket knife growing up. I just learned to watch what I was doing. Yes, I occasionally ... pinched ... myself. It taught me not to do that again.

I also learned that one of the inexpensive "stockman" or "trapper" model knives was a better choice over the expensive "known" makers. Right now I carry one made by Uncle Henry - runs about $12 usd. Three blades with stag scales. I use it, abuse it, treat it worse than a "rented mule". Since it doesn't cost an arm and a leg (and a first-born), I'm not worried about really using it, or possibly loosing it. I cut wire, scrape rust and bolts, use it as a screwdriver, pick my teeth, even lend it to a friend (yes, I've lost a few that way). But the key point is that I'm not afraid to USE IT - for whatever task is at hand. And if I lose it or break it? 12 bucks buys me it's replacement.

I've got fancy and expensive knives - carbon steel, damascus, made from files, colonial style, Norwegian laminate, etc., Somewhere I even have a lock-blade folder. But I tend to be afraid to use them - because of their "value". For most things I tend to grab my cheapo folder, or a modified "butcher knife" - for lack of a better term. They are working tools that I'm not afraid to use - whatever the task. That's the key point - having a tool "on hand", being experienced in its use, and not being afraid to use/lose/break it.

I have a friend that tends to cut himself most every time he picks up and uses a knife - or sharp object. I also have some friends that I would trust to shave me blindfolded. So it goes. Know your tools, and use them.

Just my humble ramblings to share.

yhs
Mike Ameling

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Oops, forgot to comment on axes and other brush tools.

For most small brush cutting I use the common Corn Knife - a farm version of a machete with a blade that tapers outward a little from the handle and has a clipped or hawkbill tip. I use it for cutting grass/weeds, cutting brush, and light chopping of wood. I tend to use it even when an axe would be the better tool - mostly because I have the corn knife with me most of the time. Yes, I use it HARD. It's a working tool.

For an axe, I've been carrying and using an old pattern 17th to 18th century Trade Axe more often of late. It fits in with the Living History demonstrations I do, and it's starting to show me how well it works. The style was developed over a couple hundred years of "working" use. It's a large version of a tomahawk - often called a squaw axe in the old records. Round or teardrop shaped eye, no pole, and flairing blade. The French Byscane axe is one version. These were shipped over to North America and traded to the Indians throughout the 1600's to 1800's. It does take some adjustments in technique and usage, but they have been proving their worth to me. I still have my "Kentucky" pattern single bit axe, but seldom get out the double bit anymore.

Just more of my humble ramblings.

Thanks
Mike Ameling

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I carry a little Opinel more often than any other knife, and I get a lot of use out of it.
I agree, learn to know your tools, become familiar with them.
A *bushcraft* knife is a heavyweight among blades so it gets recommended since it's a rock solid tool.
However, I have used the Opinel for battoning smallish stuff and it was fine, just watch that lock ring :rolleyes: they become loose with time. A capable folder really does have it's place as a pocket knife, or more.

Mike, your corn knife sounds like my billhook, a hard working tool, but incredibly useful. I chopped out a bowl blank with one the other night from a halved section of silver birch and earlier in the week I was using it for clearing brambles.

cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Lee_shanahan said:
I was recently reading Ray Mears essentail bushcraft, when i came across a piece of information that i found intresting, he mentions that a folding blade is a big no when i comes to bushcraft because the blade can collapse on yor fingers. When i'm out practicing bushcraft i always got a folding knife with me as i find it alot easier to carve small pieces of wood. I'm just wonder if there is any truth in this statement, or should i stop using my folding knife.

Perhaps he's had an epiphany. ;) On one of his videos, he uses a slip joint knife to whittle a matchsafe from birch bark and of course, the slip joint figured prominently in the video on building the birch bark canoe.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Hi, Toddy.

I have several billhooks, and have even made a few in the forge for historical demonstrations. Billhooks, also called fascine knives, are interesting tools. And so many "regional" differences in their final shape/style.

They work great for working with small saplings - that coppice work, wattle and daube construction, hurdles, willow weaving, etc. But I haven't used one enough to really get to know its capabilities. The few times I have used one, that "hook" kept getting in my way for the task at hand. But that's all part of learning to use the tool - and reverting to old habits.

So my journey continues....

Thanks
Mike Ameling

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Lee_shanahan said:

No.

Like everything, use the right tool for the job. But there is a lot of overlap with all tools and tools differ enormously in quality and construction. You can use a knife for splitting logs, but you'd do better with an axe, you can use a folder for almost everything you can use a fixed blade for. The problem is, quality folders with super solid locks and reliable mechanisms are generally very expensive. But to suggest a folder is useless or a "big no" for bushcraft is just daft. The man is an oracle of knowledge on most things, but some of his opinions are just that - opinions. I'm sure that his, just like everyone elses, changes over time and with knowledge. If you find your folder useful, then carry on using it. :)

Incidentally, he advertises the British Army clasp knife on his website. ;)

Lee_shanahan

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2007
South Wales
Mike Ameling said:
Hi, Toddy.

I have several billhooks, and have even made a few in the forge for historical demonstrations. Billhooks, also called fascine knives, are interesting tools. And so many "regional" differences in their final shape/style.

I have a very old billhook that i had of my grandfather, i wouldnt really leave home without it, it has a blade on the back that can be used like an axe so i can do 2 jobs with it.

Butchd

Forager
Feb 20, 2007
Surrey
Hoodoo said:
Perhaps he's had an epiphany. ;) On one of his videos, he uses a slip joint knife to whittle a matchsafe from birch bark and of course, the slip joint figured prominently in the video on building the birch bark canoe.

I got the impression that the slip knife belonged to the other guy. In making the matchcase he also used the awl that was used in making the canoe. Just goes to show though that as others have said, it's how you use the tool that matters not the tool itself. Just so long as you are careful when using the point, a folder is safe enough.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hmmm....my tuppence worth.

Whilst I'd never been "trained" to use a knife as a child I was always with one, and always whittling. I lost count of the number of times I cut myself using a folder (sometimes, it has to be said, BECAUSE it was a folder).

Most of the time this was due to me doing something stupid, but I came to understand that slipping and cutting was the most common injury with a knife (although there was this one time when I dropped the damn thing...thank God for thick walking boots! :eek: )

As long as you are well versed in using a knife it shouldn't be a problem, but in my view a fixed knife is always safer as you cannot predict when a folder will, or won't fold when applying pressure any other way than directly against the cutting edge (obviously this doesn't take into consideration the legality of carrying such a knife, but that's a whole different conversation!).

Whatever your experience, ALWAYS make sure you have easy access to a first aid kit - I call myself an experience knife user and even now I cut myself from time to time!! :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Butchd said:
I got the impression that the slip knife belonged to the other guy. In making the matchcase he also used the awl that was used in making the canoe. Just goes to show though that as others have said, it's how you use the tool that matters not the tool itself. Just so long as you are careful when using the point, a folder is safe enough.

No doubt the other guy used it. But it's Ray's video on building a birchbark canoe. Do you think Ray chastised the guy off camera for using such an inferior bushcraft tool? ;) Or did he learn from him? :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hoodoo said:

RM sells folders on his sight now so he cant think thier all bad. He uses a folder on the extras on a DVD when making a birch bark container.
I use a SAK regularly and have few problems but do also use a fixed blade.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE