Folding knife recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Hi,

I work in the woods and I'm looking for a new folding knife (with a locking blade) to carry when out in the woods.

I was thinking the folding TBS boar as I have the fixed blade version and love it. It will be a general use knife and be carried everyday!

I prefer a wooden handle simply on an asthetic level.

I could push to the 100 quid mark but more comfortable around 60-80.

If anyone has any recommendations would love to hear them

Cheers

Danny

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
See if you can find an EKA 92 Swede - it is a large and solid locking knife with a scandinavian grind. Blade is something like 3mm thick and 3 1/2" long. It is lump, but rather like a fixed blade only it folds. Look for one in Bubinga, though they do them in other woods and plastics too

You thinking of something smaller with a finer blade maybe?

Last edited:
Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I had one. The Big Swede you outside Sweden called it. Rock solid.
First knife I customized by replacing the maroon plastic scales on to very old Juniper wood.

OP, if you can find one, buy it.

Made by EKA in Eskilstuna, later branded Normark too I believe?

dannyk64

Apr 1, 2015
Nottingham
Cheers for the replies, the 92 is exactly the type of knife I'm looking for

It is to be used as a bit of a workhorse. It will be well looked after but put through its paces which is why I was looking at the TBS and Helle options. I like the thickness of the blade and the durable feel of these sort of knives. I have been put off Helle due to past experiences with the brand and I'm now hearing mixed reviews on the TBS folder.

Cannot find a 92 anywhere though, not even online. Might go for a model 7 but going to do a bit more research before buying.

Again cheers for the advice.

Is the 92 still available in Sweden? as I might be heading over just after Christmas so might see if I can pick one up simply out of interest

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
They are available, alright.

Never tried one prior to getting the Swingblade a few weeks ago. If that's anything to go by, EKA's is quite good...but that's with sample size = 1

The EKA product line

Last edited:

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I generally found EKA make their blades a bit think behind edge. Comfortable handles but not the best for slicing, at least with the low sabre grind versions I've tried.

Enzo Birk in curly birch?

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Apropos nothing in particular, I got this in the mail this morning. A cheap Au Sabot Alpin pattern French regional piece. I wasn't expecting much for 35Euros. But it arrived in seconds, France to Canada. It is as well made as I could hope. But, more importantly, as well made as I like. Finished to the point of function and not much past that. There's some small spaces between spring and liner and the H isn't invisible like you see on some Spydercos, but that is just how I like my rustication :)

Its a clip point in Ebony and 2.5mm 12C27 Sandvik. It sharpened up lovely, and the action turned out to be just great after I gave it a wash through under the hot tap. Nice half stop

Here, for scale, it is pictured with a 3 1/2" barlow.I am pleased, and have steak for dinner

IMG-0641.jpg

O dear ... steak cancelled :(

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Nah, everyone uses Sandvik Janne ... and perhaps most especially the French regional makers. Opinel, Nontron, loads of those makers you see on Courty and other sites, even Fontenille Pataud, Manu Laplace etc. Perfect for these prices, and higher. Its very affable, forgiving, workable stuff for makers and users alike.

Yes it is a folder. I have a ton of slipjoints with 3 1 /2" blades and have a theory, which in truth I don't much stick to, that a knife should be 3 1/2" closed or have a 3 1/2" blade :)

Reactions: Nice65 and Janne

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Thing is, I think they have stopped making 12C27 - preferring 14C28

I like their 19C27 stuff ... got one or two little folders including a wonderful Perceval L-08, which was awful initially, and I was going to send it back. But then I took it apart and found it hadn't been assembled quite right. The loveliest thing after that :)

Reactions: Robson Valley

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Ignore the aesthetics of wood and get a Spyderco Tenacious. As a work knife it does it all. One handed opening, lovely wide flat ground blade for spreading butter, cutting sausage, rope, pork pies, fertiliser or feed bags, peel an apple, general cutting. I rate the Tenacious and Benchmade Griptilian as my best all round use work knives ever. The only Scandi grind folder I have is the Enzo PK70, and it’s certainly not a grind I’d take to work in folder form. The Scandi grind, for me, is mainly for wood working and not a good all rounder.

The only EKA I’ve ever had was a hollow grind Super Swede. A very nice knife, but let down by the lock being just where the heel of my palm was when I prodded some window frames for rot, I got a fairly deep cut.

Tenacious.

C6-F05-A50-4216-4-F2-D-91-BA-D1-B547312-DCB.jpg

Griptillian 551. Available in a large variety of blade shapes and handle varieties. Plus stud or stolen Spydiehole opening varieties.

1410-C5-C4-8-D6-B-4-E3-A-8844-745255-C63245.jpg

Reactions: Billy-o
Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Ignore the aesthetics of wood and get a Spyderco Tenacious. As a work knife it does it all. One handed opening, lovely wide flat ground blade for spreading butter, cutting sausage, rope, pork pies, fertiliser or feed bags, peel an apple, general cutting. I rate the Tenacious and Benchmade Griptilian as my best all round use work knives ever. The only Scandi grind folder I have is the Enzo PK70, and it’s certainly not a grind I’d take to work in folder form. The Scandi grind, for me, is mainly for wood working and not a good all rounder.

The only EKA I’ve ever had was a hollow grind Super Swede. A very nice knife, but let down by the lock being just where the heel of my palm was when I prodded some window frames for rot, I got a fairly deep cut.

Tenacious.

C6-F05-A50-4216-4-F2-D-91-BA-D1-B547312-DCB.jpg

Griptillian 551. Available in a large variety of blade shapes and handle varieties. Plus stud or stolen Spydiehole opening varieties.

1410-C5-C4-8-D6-B-4-E3-A-8844-745255-C63245.jpg
No no no! you need one of these!

The Willumsen (top) you can cut the balloon knot out of a dinosaur with one of them.

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
IMAG0927.jpg

I have one of these Coldsteel Twistmasters, think heavy duty Opinel No. 8 Wonderful and very capable knife, you wouldn't go far wrong if you could track one down.

Reactions: Billy-o

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE