Folding knife recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
My opinion is, that for some jobs especially in winter and spring a stronger fixed knife of 9,5 cm blade is optimal for bushcraft in the woods. I prefere 440C blades. Cheap, easy to sharpen, universal. Doesn't rust in whet conditions.

But in dryer conditions my prefered Knifes are Opinel Carbone Nr 8 and Nr 7.

No 7 is far lighter and fits better in the pocket. It is useful for very experienced People. But the handle is a bit small.

If you are not so experienced or if you are really using it very often during the day I recommend No 8.

That knife looks weak. But every folding knife is weak, if you compare it with a good fixe blade nife.
It is very, very easy to hold the Opinel Carbone knifes razor sharp.
And because my Opinels are razor sharp, they don't have to be very strong.

For hiking and longer trips I recommend the Victorinox Compact:
It is very light. It fits very well in the pocket.
And every tool is integrated which is needed in the woods and civilization. If you add a spoon and two Bic Mini lighters you are completely equipped for summer hikes. With an additional fixe blade knife and a saw or may be a small hatchet you are perfectly equipped for the winter and spring.

In my opinion that is the best choice and system. I do not see any reason for larger folding knifes. If the small ones doesn't do the job, a small fixe bladed knife is needed, or a saw, hatchet or axe.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I like the Compact a lot, but wish it had a can opener in place of the cap lifter. You can open a bottle with pretty much anything but cans need a special thing.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Do you own it?????

That is a can opener!!!!!!

It doesn't cut as fast than the special one. But now a days usually cans you can open without an opener. So the combined tool, that you think would be a beer bottle opener is really good enough for one person use!

The cook of a scout patrol perhaps should choose a Victorinox climber, but for one person or a couple the can opener of the Victorinox Compact is really working well enough!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
That is when you are happy your fixed blade is a Mora, when you forgot the can opener.

I used to carry two cans of low quality (=high fat content) Corned Beef.
Has the opening key included, if you screw that opening method they are very easy to open with a knife, even one handed.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, the Brits!

Do you have an idea, why we have so many of them in this forum, @Janne?

Forum members with dentures?
Scorbut ( scurvy).
To prevent that they need to make tisanes ( herbal teas) from certain plants, when they are outside in nature.

Alt 2:
So many Forum members from Britain?
Because they lack barely touched, accessible nature they crave. So they want to learn as much as they can, by joining forums like this.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
That can opener on SAKs, it took me a couple of decades to realize they were a can opener.

There are a couple more instruments on some of the “full fat ‘ ones I do not know what they are for.

The tooth pick is totally useless if you are young and have healthy terth and gingiva, waaaay to thick.
Designed by an old person with gum disease.
To make it functional, you need to cut it to the proper shape, but then the tip bends.

I have a SAK with a lockable blade as a back up knife. Good for that, nothing more.
Wife carries a small one, even on aircraft.

The tooth brush was invented by a Scot.
Everybody else would have invented a teethbrush.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The SAK Forester has a decent locking blade as well as the saw, very useful and functional bit of kit. Lacks the wooden handle but not difficult to do yourself, I took the lock off mine at the same time.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
The SAK Solo's are sturdy, useful blades too, non locking though, but again easily scaled in the wood of your choice :)

Svord Peasant is worth a look too, nearly as safe as a locker, can again swap the scales for whatever you fancy or have to hand

Reactions: snappingturtle

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE