Folding knife recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
The SAK Forester has a decent locking blade as well as the saw, very useful and functional bit of kit. Lacks the wooden handle but not difficult to do yourself, I took the lock off mine at the same time.

That is beautiful, but the lock is imo an extremely useful feature!

I have tied to use the saw. Useless. The branches that can be sawn with that saw I can break against my knee, or with my foot.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I like the victorinox outrider quite a lot

Janne - you simply need more practice with the saw. There is an old saying about crappy workmen blaming their tools. God knows what your patients teeth look like on the way out the door.... splintered stumps I’d imagine :lol:

Reactions: Janne

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
If they are lucky.....

When I say ‘wide open’ I mean their walkets!
:)

I have tried the saw several times, but found it was quicker to just break the branches.
When I needed straight poles fir my dhelter or fishing, it was quicker to cut a trench around the sampling with the blade, then just breaking it.

I always thought another blade would be mote useful, in case the first ine snapped.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Do you own it?????

That is a can opener!!!!!!

It doesn't cut as fast than the special one. But now a days usually cans you can open without an opener. So the combined tool, that you think would be a beer bottle opener is really good enough for one person use!

The cook of a scout patrol perhaps should choose a Victorinox climber, but for one person or a couple the can opener of the Victorinox Compact is really working well enough!

Ha! Good one! You had me going slightly nuts there. Luckily, I found that I actually did have the Compact with me here.

It has a cap lifter on it, not a can opener.

Maybe a mistranslation. A cap lifter has a big screwdriver blade on it and is also used for getting the metal lids off bottles (and stripping wire). A can opener is curved and sharp and is used for opening tins.

Anyway, the Compact has a cap lifter. At least this one does. I wonder if there is a difference in the models

Hold on a minute and I'll post a pic

Here -this is the Compact at the bottom and a Huntsman at the top showing the caplifter and the can opener ... and now I wonder if you mean that you can use the cap lifter to open a can ... I am just going to perform an experiment

Compact-Huntsman.jpg

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Ha! Again.

You are right .. well, you live and learn. Its not the same shape as the usual can opener, is blunt and and it works the other way round, cutting clockwise rather than anticlockwise, but it does work just absolutely, perfectly fine ... better possibly than the sharp version, I'd say

I am pretty happy now :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
With pleasure, my dear!

Yes it is a combi tool:
cap lifter AND can opener!

It doesn't work as well as the other one but as you see: It opens the can too!

That's why I recommend the Victorinox Compact as the best trekking and travelling pocket knife in the world!

It is completely equipped with every thing you need in the woods and nothing more, so it is light and compact!

Reactions: Billy-o

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Next to the kork screw is a hole, where belongs the blister needle in.

I think, the needle is missing at your knife.

You can get it usually for some pennies in every shop that sells Victorinox knifes.

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
No, no, it is in there right enough. :)

How many other secrets does this thing hide?

(btw - now I have also discovered the existence of Erbswurst sausage/soup, I am having a pretty good day :))

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Did you find the blade and the scissors?

;0)

No, I think the rest is visible!

Only If people watch the knife in internet and fast in the shop, they could not understand, that there is a file at the peg hook, which other hooks on other Victorinox Knives don't have.

And of course the ball pen is a bit hidden and unusual too. That all together is the reason for the a bit higher price.

By the way: Every younger Victorinox with plastic handle and kork screw has the hole for the blister needle, but not every knife has the needle in regularly. But nearly every body can attach it later.

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have a little keyring with several little lifesvars on it ... a loupe, fauxton, sliver grippers etc. There is a small pair of nailclippers there too. Nothing worse than a torn nail for causing strife and inconvenience. :)

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I use the scissors in the Victorinox exclusively for nail cutting since round about 12 years.

I don't own others any more.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I think about to give courses about that.

Especially for groups who drive on the right side.

And those, who drive on the wrong side.

;0)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE