Folding Buck Alpha Hunter Knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
what do most people think to the Buck Alpha Hunter knife
im after a folder to keep in my pocket while out shooting

thanks for the help guys

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
They are hollow ground, so not ideal for woodwork but they will cut wood. They are ideal for game prep so as a shooting accesory they would suit your purpose. I dont know if they are still made in the States or what steel they are made from, but I'm sure someone with better knowledge than me will chime in and put me right.......HOODOO?

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
they should be good, i have an omni hunter which is similar.
people say the steel aint that good but mine holds a shaving edge better than a mora, both are designed for skinning but they can also be used for chopping and splitting as they are pretty heavy blades, for the folders im not quite sure, the blade shape seems to be more practical for the heavy work that a fixed blade allows, for a shooting folder for skinning id perfer a buck bantam or similar, more suited blade for finer tasks like paunching, the alpha hunter is realy for skinning large game like deer, the blade seems a bit to thick for the way i skin bunnies.

as for the hollow grind it bites into wood and meat like a monster, its not that great for woodcarving as far as control is concerned, but it is capable.

Last edited:

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
thanks guys as i said i wanted a folder just for rabbits and pigeons really but need something that keeps a good edge
you mention the buck bantam how easy is it to sharpen and whats it like for keepin a razor edge

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've had a couple of Buck knives and I think they're a decent purchase for the money. What sort of things would you use it for whilst shooting ?

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
thanks guys as i said i wanted a folder just for rabbits and pigeons really but need something that keeps a good edge
you mention the buck bantam how easy is it to sharpen and whats it like for keepin a razor edge

exactly the same steel and HT as the alpha hunter, just a bit smaller and more nimble, cheaper too.

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
at the minute ive got a fixed blade enzo D2 hand made knife which ive never used as i find it just a tad to big for me so i think ill be selling it once ive made my mind up which one im goin for

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
at the minute ive got a fixed blade enzo D2 hand made knife which ive never used as i find it just a tad to big for me so i think ill be selling it once ive made my mind up which one im goin for

ooh nice, i just got an enzo in O1, love the thing, let me know if you decide to sell it :)

buck bantam is this.

Thumbnail.aspx

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
ooh lovley bit of antler there mate, those enzos are very nice blades, i belkeive theyre bringing out a line of folders soon, so it might be worth seeing what happens there. as for me i need to wait until ive sorted a new laptop before anymore sharps, if your selling it then im still interested :)

steve007

Tenderfoot
Mar 24, 2010
nottingham
must admit the enzo blades are bloody scary sharp
im lookin at the buck bantam as they seam really cheap and keep a good edge as you guys said

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE