Folding Bow Saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Some time ago I read a review about the "Bob Dustrude folding buck saw" over on Song of the Paddle. It seemed that it was a pretty good tool so I decided that I would get one, just as soon as I could afford it. Well, over two years later, i finally got one. The review on SOTP is a good one, but as it was over two and a half years ago, I thought I would give my own.
The saw is a "U" section of Aluminium, with two folding arms which are rivited to the main body with copper rivits.
foldingbowsaw005.jpg

On opening up the two arms, you find the blade and the wooden handle/tensioning device
foldingbowsaw007.jpg

You remove the blade, which has a nut and bold in one end and the handle attached to the other and locate the ends of the blade in the blade location slots
FBs20.jpg

Then you can tension the blade in the saw by folding the wooden handle up into the "U" section of the saw frame
FBS21.jpg

foldingbowsaw010.jpg

The saw is now ready to go to work. I gave it a run out on some Ivy that I wanted for bow drill spindles. the saw comes with a 24" blade for cutting green wood
FBS4.jpg

But as my ivy was already dead, I changed the blade to one designed to cut dead wood.
FBS5.jpg

If changing the blade, be careful as the replacement blades will probably have a square end, which will poke out from the wooden handle of the saw
FBS3.jpg

This could catch the palm of your hand and cause a nasty cut. It can be easily removed with a file or grinding stone. The origional blade supplied already had this removed.
In use, the saw performs like any other bow saw. Being a full size 24" saw, it was possible to give long strokes which cut quickly and with little effort.
Foldingbowsaw004.jpg

Foldingbowsaw003.jpg

I did find the "U" section of the saw frame to be a bit larger and slightly less rounded than a normal bow saw, but I don't think it would cause too many problems.
When finished, the saw can be dismantled and replaced back inside the "U" section of the frame.
FBC1.jpg

When the blade is back inside the folded frame, is is completely enclosed with no part of the saw blade teeth exposed. It also dosen't rattle about which is good. It is a fair bit lighter than a normal bow saw of this size and when packed up it stands at 24.5 inches (62cm) there is a canvas carry case available which has a pocket for an extra blade, but this is an optional extra which I didn't get, but I think I may have a go at making my own carry case. I purchased mine from Tamarack Outdoors (no connection etc) but it can also be bought direct from the USA where it is made from the Duluth pack company. With the exchange rate as it is, it will slightly cheaper to inport it from the USA, but only as long as you don't end up having to pay import tax.
All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the saw. It is a light weight package that cuts as well as a normal bow saw and you store the blade safely inside it so no damaged equipment. If you plan on spending a few days outdoors and need a good saw to cut fire wood with, then I would highly recommend it.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Excellent review, good description and photo's, thank you.

I'd never thought of one of these before, and although I've seen bow saw's, they were never of this size or so well designed.

I particularly liked the fact that it has no rattles when packed, a sure sign of attentive design and construction.

From an efficiency point of view, it looks like a lightsabre for wood!

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
What an excellent review! And with the Tamarack discount for full BCUK members it makes alot of sense.

Just one question. How do you think the main structure and rivets will put up with prolonged use?

LBL

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
What an excellent review! And with the Tamarack discount for full BCUK members it makes alot of sense.

Just one question. How do you think the main structure and rivets will put up with prolonged use?

LBL

It is surprisingly well designed. The aluminium tubing is actually thicker along the edges than it is on the flats, which will give it good rigidity. The copper rivets are pretty beefy. I have no doubt that they will hold up well. Even if they do eventually fail, it wouldn't be too difficult to replace them.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive had one for about 18 months now and use it all the time, not only up the woods, but in the garden etc, great bit of kit, my 11 yr old finds it a doddle to use.

DSCN4775.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE