Folder Features

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
A heavy duty folder could be quite heavy but can be made lighter with titanium liners. I think people would get a lot more out of a legal carry folder than a fixed blade because you can carry and use it virtually anywhere unlike a fixed blade, a fixed blade with a 3 inch blade would have to be at least 7 inches long for comfortable use. A folder however strongly made will not be a subsitute for an equally well made fixed blade in all circumstances but its not going to get you into a hassle with the law if you go through a village or town or risk having your fixed blade confiscated by a sceptical bobby. I like the Native design, I think what I can do for users is to make a knife closer to their ideal, if you want to supply your own wood for the handle scales or have nickel silver bolsters with a engraved silver shield, no problem

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
IMO ,a folding bushcraft knife is unnecessary.
Firstly i consider a folding knife especially a non locking knife to be dangerous for heavy work.
Secondly on the subject of legal carry I do not find myself in a "bushcraft" situation unexpectedly ,(that would be a "survival" situation).
Bushcraft for me is always a planned activity like hunting therefore i can justify carrying a suitable fixed blade knife.
As for moving through "sensitive" area's on your way to and from a suitable location then i think the sensible option would be to conceal a fixed blade in a rucksack along with the other bushcraft items you will be carrying ie tarp ,cooking pot etc.
I do see a use for a small knife and possibly a folder to accompany a fixed blade like a SAK or an Opinel for food preparation etc but a flat grind "bushcraft" knife is actually a disadvantage for these type of tasks.
rb

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE