Foil Cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
I found a recipe on another forum so i thought i'd give it a go as i've never cooked in foil before. I tried it at the last North Wood meet. I know foil is frowned upon but i didn't throw it in the fire, i took it home with me.

Basically you get one or two fresh beef burgers (in this case i used scotch beef) put them in a foil bag (which i made up beforehand), cut up some carrots and popped those in. Now as the potatoes would take the longest to cook we par boiled them and popped those in too. The recipe calls for onions but i left them out.

Seal the foil bags by folding them and pop em into the embers for about 45 mins.

To be honest i wasn't expecting anything remotely edible but i was very surprised how this meal turned out, everything was cooked perfectly and even the potatoes had turned into mash, which was a bonus.

Also all you have to clean is your fork/spork...... (delete as appropriate.)

I shall be doing this again purely for the simplicity of it, maybe using steak or chicken next time.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Got to admit, when I was watching Andy chuck all that lot into the bag and into the fire, I was sceptical. When it came out, it looked and smelled delicious....

20-31Oct2010NorthwoodMeet10.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i have to admit it did smell lovely and if he hadnt growled quite so loud whilst sharpening his spork i was going to ask to try a bit

It was certainly better than that other thing he was responsible for. I think we need a thread on that too Andy.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
SimonM does a cracking (well it looks it anyway) breakfast arrangement in a similar style.

So that's breaky and tea sorted sorted then, anyone want to buy my billies ?

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
i have to admit it did smell lovely and if he hadnt growled quite so loud whilst sharpening his spork i was going to ask to try a bit

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :nofeed:

It was certainly better than that other thing he was responsible for. I think we need a thread on that too Andy.

All i can say is 'ashes to ashes, dust to dust'. It was laid to rest at the meet, and best kept that way. Lessons learned!!!!! Damn Tank and his wood fetish. :goodnight:

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
SimonM does a cracking (well it looks it anyway) breakfast arrangement in a similar style.

I can personally vouch for the quality of SimonM's foil-cooked breakfasts - they're grrrrrreat!

He also does a mean boil-in-a-bag sponge cake. Now there is a great campfire cooking trick! :)

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands

to be fair the inside was lovely ..............and it did come in its own bowl
We should have used it for the custard !!!!

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
I haven't cooked like that in years my Grampa and me when I was a kid used to cook like that in our home woodstove in the winter. We would take potatoes wrap them then make killer burgers wrap those with a slice of onion toss them in and come back bout half hour lter to the juicest burgers in the world I LOVE cooking that way. Also talk about a good smokey taste. DROOLS

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Andy - found the exact same recipe in "The complete book of fire" " yours tasted great though!!!!! Hopefully you've got somthing else to try in Dec meet??

:D
Apple cake without char cloth would be nice !!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE