Fly fishing reel

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
::disclaimer::

Ok, may seem like strange thing to do. I know there are cheap reels available so it is economic stupid to make one yourself, so no need to point that out. But I loth the hi-tech cnc made chinese ugly reels out there, I want something with soul and warmth..

::real post::
I was looking through some stuff left from my grand dad some time ago, found some antique fly fishing stuff that I used during the summer (a creel, a nice net, a priest, fly wallet, rod tube in leather and so on). Everything in mint condition. I also found a box for a reel, and the pic on the box showed a beatiful piece, apperently made in brass. Looked thru ebay, seems that brass was the thing they used in the old days. The prices were a bit high though, and very few pleased my eye (and yes, looks are important.. :D). So now I have a grinding thought in my head, can this be done by myself?

At work I have access to a manual lathe with a precision down to a 1/100 mm and a manual mill with a precision down to 1/25 mm. I have also found a source of decent priced brass (I wont be doing the arbor in one piece).

So what do you think? Is it doable? I have some sketches made in CAD now, but the main problem is the drag brake, I would of course want something simple, I usually end up using hand braking anyway :eek: . If you have some ideas for a brake mechanism please share. I already have a small cogwheel for the clicking and some stainless steel rods for axles. Also M0.5 and M1 taps. Bearings are no prolem either.

Was thinking to use it for #5-6 or so.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Thank you for your encouragement jojo. I will post pics during the process. The brass is in the mail and should be here by next week :)

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
if the reel is for trout etc you won't need much of a drag the clicker will do enough i would think, my trout fly reel has no drag other than tightening or slackening the clicker, either or isn't great. If you want a drag for pike or something then you could make a leather washer or buy one as a spare part from another reel??? then you would get the right thing for the job save all your hard work going down the tubes

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
Sounds an interesting project.

I'm into Engineering and make model steam engines out of brass, I don't know how experienced you are with working with brass?

You need a nice free-cutting grade & when drilling or milling it has a nasty habit of grabbing the tool (its worth just taking the sharpness off the edge drill to stop this).

Also use some lubricant when drilling and tapping it to save broken drills/taps.:eek:

Sorry if you already knew this, but if you need any advice/help PM me.

Richard

P.S. Forgot to say my fly reel only has a clicker/ratchet which is just a lever that moves a spring on or off the gear, there is not drag adjustment.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Thanks for all the advice. The leather washer was actually one of the solutions I had in mind. A guy at work used to make his own RC boat engines in alu and brass so I have tips close at hand. I've heard that alcohol makes a good lubricant.

I have been working a lot with steel and alu so I know to use lubricants when drilling and tapping, but a remainder is never out of place.. :eek:

I will see if I only make a ratchet or a drag mechanism, but as I said, I usually just use my hand for braking. As my fishing usually is around #5-7 I don't think I really need a braking system.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Fantastic, website

you will need to post picture of it when its done, more importantly post a picture of your first fish caught on it when its done

What will you be catching?

I was out for grayling today (i think you call them harr) abit cold -10

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Update: My brass supplier has failed me. Still no brass, and no re-payment. Damn it. Okay. I've done a jig and fixture from stock iron. COuldn't harden it as I wanted, but it's faced and drilled at least.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE