fluff chucking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
just got back from my local still water bagged a nice 3lb rainbow but yet again the water boiled up fish everywhere and it got a little frustrating...
to be honest i should have stayed where i caught but i like to roam

oh for the ability to chuck a worm out on a float lol

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
damsel fly nymph was the only one getting a sniff, missed two takes on buzzers but trying to match the brown flies hatching wasnt happening...
oh er fluff chucking = fly fishing :-D

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Yeah... done a bit of that meself, here's one of my favourites:

av3.jpg

Any idea what the hatching fly was?

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
think they where small brownish sedge flies long antennae plenty of nice damsels and dragon flies about too love watching the big dragon flies... very pleasant evening really

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
If they were silverhorn sedge then I've had days like that - never did find a properly winning combination with those. Occasionally a small hares ear with a gold head would do the trick, silverhorns hatch in the margins or on bankside vegetation IIRC so matching a hatching insect was a bit tricky. I did used to do quite well with a floating corixa on days like that, which was a bit more like float fishing than fly fishing tbh.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
I've just taken up fly fishing again after a break of 10 years or so. God it's frustrating lol. So much skill required even before you choose what fly to use. I'm fishing a nicely stocked and managed reservoir and still fail to catch most days. It's nice to catch one on a fly you tie yourself though. Most of mine have been taken on a daddy long legs pattern hopped along the top.

trixx

Jul 14, 2010
Scotland
So much skill required even before you choose what fly to use. I'm fishing a nicely stocked and managed reservoir

Easy. Just use something that looks vaguely like a feed pellet. Floating corixas and fluffy hare's ear nymphs usually do the trick. :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Hehe... or more or less anything made from spun and clipped deer hair - probably the most useful tip I was ever given was 'slow down'. While it's true that you'll only catch fish while the fly is in the water, you'll also only catch fish if you haven't scared them all off.

Stripping lures is definitely one way to put some fish on the table... and build arm muscle. More often than not a quiet, delicate approach and keeping the speed of the retrieve to a minimum works just as well or better.

Cheers,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE