Flippin Nightmare Journey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
I was one of the unfortunate motorists to have been stuck in the traffic jams resulting from the snowy conditions on the A417 yesterday.

Left work at 5:15pm, and arrived home at 12:07am!!!

For those who know the area, there was the tiniest flurry of snow just outside Swindon, which turned into a full flurry just before the Highwayman pub. Reached the pub at 5:40pm, and it took 5 hours to get a mile to the roundabout where we were sent back towards Swindon.

I decided to try the backroads, and found them unpassable for my front wheel drive.

So I put on my coats, hat, gloves, grabbed my torch, and walked towards Cheltenham where my wife picked me up.

On all the Ray Mears videos, he always says, stay with the vehicle. I certainly considered this, but also weighed up the facts that there were plenty of houses around, and relatively clear roads within 4 miles.

Anyone else get caught up in the snow?

TC

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Sorry to hear that Tc.

I travelled from Oxford to the other side of Witney this morning.
Light frost in Oxford, no snow.
In Witney just a light covering of snow and then Burford (only a couple of miles further) perhaps an inch.
The roads have been gritted though so it's not a problem here.

Several people live in Cheltenham/ Glocester though, we'll see if they make it in !

Cheers

Mark

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Tell me the road is clear now guys. :drive: :puppy_dog I've got to travell that road from one end to the other tomorrow (wednesday) on my journey back to Mid Wales. The area from the Highwayman to the Birdlip Hill seems to be a magnet for bad weather.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Great, and I'm moving there in January and I'll have to drive Swindon to Oxford to Banbury and back to Swindon again every day. In an MX5, which is possibly the worst car ever in the snow. Don't think I can afford the Freeloader yet...

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Yike !! All in one day you say !!!

Glad i only work 6 miles from home. Mind you there was a small accident on the main road from Milton to Wantage, and it took 4 hours to get those 6 miles. :eek:

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yup, but hopefully as the weather warms and work slows, I'll be able to juggle Swindon and Banbury on alternate days, but Oxford probably every day. At the mo' I do 75 miles a day through and around Central and West London spending at least 3.5 hours a day stuck inthe car. At least in the sticks I should be moving most of the time.... as long as the snow holds back!
Back in 2003 when we had a little snow (couple of inches at most) in West London, yet no grit, the whole area gridlocked as most of the 'locals' had no idea how to drive in snow (probably never even seen the stuff!!) and it took almost 6 HOURS to do a 20 minute journey, I kid thee not! Poor dog had very crossed legs when i got home.. but at least he enjoyed his midnight walk in the snow!

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
For some reason we dont get snow anymore round here. The last time was totally weird - it started snowing at about 4.30pm on a tuesday a couple of years ago. I mean really snowing. Then came the fog to go with the snow. This was followed by thunder and lightning. While it was still snowing !! Then everything froze. I needed a lift to the churchill for an ear operation, at about 5 in the morning we left - to allow for the weather, and it was like driving over a ploughed field...

So, since i have had the freelander, in order to have fun in the snow up chain hill, i have hexed the weather here. No more snow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE