Flint in the North...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 24, 2010
north
Hi, i'm wondering if anybody out there can point me in the direction of any flint deposits in the North of England? I live near Darlington. I've been searching quite a bit and haven't really come up with any decent stuff. There is lots on the beaches but only little nodules, the biggest i've found are just over tennis ball sized. The problem is they are all full of inclusions so it's almost impossible to strike off decent flakes.
So if somebody can point me in the right direction....

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi mate - I posted a thread some time ago offering flint to people without any. - can post you some if you want.

having said that - check out the area around Driffield - that general area is Chalk - which will be full of flint.

All the best
Andy

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
The coast South of Bridlington is probably your best best, there's a band of chalk which spreads up from the south and you can often find decent size pieces. What I will say though - which you've mentioned in your post - the quality can be a bit patchy.

This may help narrow your search

Last edited:

PaulSanderson

Settler
May 9, 2010
North Norfolk, GB
there used to be deposits at Saltburn mate....i used to spend a lot of time there when i still lived in m'boro...south-east end of beach under huntscliff...aint been in years though. That place is ace for shellfish too at low tide. hope the info helps.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Yeah Bridlington is supposed to be laced with the stuff. Time for a winter day out :p

and also..... whoop whoop someone from just outside of Darlington, just like me

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
have you tried the Black Midden rocks at the mouth of the river tyne just along from the fish quay ? there are some canny looking rocks there covered in mussels, but please dont eat them , they are filter feeders and the water there is not too canny !

Dec 24, 2010
north
I went to Bridlington yesterday and walked all around the cliffs - lots of flint but all really poor quality. I only found 2 fist sized lumps that had a decent ring to them and these are now arrow heads!
Can anybody give me a heads up to where any flint quarries are? I've heard of people getting it direct from quarries and of course this will be the best stuff as it has just come out of the ground eg. no frost damage etc..

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
I've got decent stuff from Marsden just south of South Shields. Park at Marsden Grotto and head down the steps to the beach. At the bottom turn right and head to the foot of the cliffs. That's where I found mine. The flint is of varying quality, but there should be more than enough of the good stuff.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
The big working quarry was Lynford but when I went to find their details I spied this, looks like they've finished there.
http://www.ayton.co.uk/news01.08_lynford_quarry.php
Thats's not to say it was the only one, just the only one I knew of.

Were you closer to the lakes I'd suggest Langdale Tuff(Greenstone).
Athough the main workings were at Pike 'O' Stickle tuff is widespread in the area.
Hell, it's worth a visit for the view alone.
[Edit] - Handy map here.
http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/adsdata/cbaresrep/pdf/023/02309001.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2010
north
The quality as in how few faults it has in it is judged by hitting it and listening to the noise. A high ring is what you want - no dull thuds. I'm really looking for big pieces to make tools with (yes I know a lot of the ancient tools were small). I'm into archery and make all my own bows, arrows etc and want to make a bow with only stone tools to experience what it would have been like. I also want to make arrowheads with it. I got some obsidian and flint off a friend and am running low on supplys now hence the need to find a source. I've looked up and down the coast here and can only find small nodules, however i'll try the places mentioned. Mardens sounds like it would be worth a try. Do you mean you got it out of the cliffs? I do a lot of rock climbing as well so know Langdale very well, Gimmer crag to the right of Pike O Stickle is probably my favourite crag, I've been meaning to nip over and get some greenstone but from what I can gather is isn't knappable.

D

DavidBFPO

hello,
Of interest this. I've been looking for any flint resources
around West Central Scotland to no avail. I've asked around
including M8's in the Forestry Commission who have in the past
come up with & provided some very valuable resources links etc..
Only place I have for now in abundance Croyden M8's old house
backyard is covered in this, wall was made from it where I first noted such,
when I'm down I've picked up a few pieces, now down to my last two pieces.
Regards
David

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I do a lot of rock climbing as well so know Langdale very well, Gimmer crag to the right of Pike O Stickle is probably my favourite crag, I've been meaning to nip over and get some greenstone but from what I can gather is isn't knappable.

It's perhaps not as easy to knap as flint but it's still workable and for the likes of the tools you're talking about it's good stuff.
It comes in different types. There's large grained where the green is a pale uniform green/grey. It weathers to purple on the outside and you'll see a lot of it when you get there. Not much cop, don't waste your time with it, seems to prefer breaking at right angles rather than flaking properly.

Then there's the dark green. Weathers to white. It's what the polished axes were ground down from. Smaller grained and not bad at all for percussion flaking. Never tried pressure flaking it but then I'm not very good at pressure flaking anyway so it wouldn't be a good gauge.
Makes very good scrapers, holds it's edge well when working wood.
I'd say it's on a par with good basalt.
I stuck up a picture of some once, hang on:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16315
You can see on the left of the lump where I'd been knocking off flakes.

Then there's fine grained. It's pale again but more of a washed out jade colour - still has a slight richness to the colour. Weathers white again and the lumps I found had white seams through it that didn't affect the way it flaked. Quite pretty stuff. Flakes as well as anything I've ever tried, percussive and pressure. Should be just the job for your arrowheads.

The bulk of greenstone finds may have been polished celts but celts are made that way because the shape takes abuse well. Knapped axes have all those changes in thickness, leftover weak spot and ridges for shock waves to ride along. Celts will last a lot longer without damage so it was worth putting in the extra effort.
The rock itself is still knappable though.

Man I always end up prattling on on these threads. Sorry, hope some of that is of use. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE