Fleece liners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 27, 2014
North East
Hi,
I have been looking at different sleeping systems and ideally want something that will pack very small to be used in a army bivi bag.
It will be used in the summer for a couple of hours at the time and in good conditions unless I get caught out.
I've slept with nothing recently and only got a little cool.
I've been looking at fleece sleeping bag liners, and wondered if anyone ever uses them by themselves without the sleeping bags, inside a bivi?
Maybe even two together?
I am not an extreme bushcrafter, it's just a means to an end for me (fishing!).

Cheers for any help.

Beansprout

Tenderfoot
Fleece liners pack up quite big, compared to say a Silk liner. A silk liner will give you a lot more warmth than a fleece liner. These stats are of course using the liners as designed, in a sleeping bag. The wind chill would be my concern, silk is quite thin and may let cold air through. The fleece is thicker, so you may have more success if you wanted to use the liner on its own. You could certainly use a silk liner inside a fleece liner! That would be super comfy. The silk liners pack up to nearly nothing, whereas the fleece liners you're looking at a picnic rug size roll. ^^

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
I have used both and prefer fleece, or better, pile fibre -as used in Buffalo bags.

I find silk liners sweaty, but I know others like them.

Fleece + bivvy bag + clothes can be comfortable.

Can I suggest a trial run near home or in back garden first?

All the best.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I’ve not used a fleece liner in a bivy bag but I have used those cheap fake sheep-pile underblankets sold for beds (they look just like pile you get in Buffalo jackets, got mine from Dunelm years ago), used just for warm muggy summer nights it was fine, however note that some summer nights can be very cold even after a very hot day. Fleece liners can be bulky, more bulky than a decent 2/3 season sleeping bag so they won’t fulfill your small pack requirements, especially so if two liners are combined as you suggest, however provided they keep you warm enough there is no reason you shouldn’t use them. I have slept in a bivy bag under a fishing brolly hundreds of times though, generally combined with a sleeping bag and a closed cell mat underneath (note:- these mats are to insulate you from the ground NOT for comfort). Over forty five years ago I did a lot of night fishing before the advent of modern equipment, we used to cut out a circle in a thick nettlebed and put a brolly over the circle, the standing nettlebed surrounding the brolly acted as a windbreak and a thick blanket was thrown over the flattened nettles for a bed and we slept in an army greatcoat for warmth, a bivy bag with a decent sleeping bag and a sleeping mat underneath you though is a big improvement. If you sleep fully clothed including your jacket you may only need a light summer sleeping bag or fleece liner but note that if you get your clothes wet when fishing then they will not keep you warm and you won’t want to wear them to sleep in. Whatever you do note that it is very important to have something underneath you as insulation from the ground, a closed cell sleeping mat is okay for that and very cheap. Good luck with your fishing.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
+ 1 to the comments about an insulation mat.

Sorry, should have added that to my post.

All the best.

Sep 27, 2014
North East
Thanks for all your replies.
I didn't realise they wouldn't pack down, which defeats the purpose I wanted them for.
I've had a look at the jungle bag previously and think your right, that's what I should get.
The only problem is I need an envelope bag really as I don't like the mummy type at all due to me being 'broad'.
I'll keep my eyes open for something that fits the bill.
I'll definitely try it in the garden first, good idea.
It will be used on remote rock fishing marks to extend our sea fishing trips. Up to now I've used nothing, so anything I get will be an improvement!
I've just bought a Vango storm shelter/ bothy, and I think a dutch bivi bag is next, but still trying to decide.
Thanks for saving me from a mistake!

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Try the Czech army bedroll - without the blanket and sheet - the outercover is waterproof. They can be picked up pretty cheaply.

Last edited:

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Fleece liners pack up quite big, compared to say a Silk liner. A silk liner will give you a lot more warmth than a fleece liner. These stats are of course using the liners as designed, in a sleeping bag. The wind chill would be my concern, silk is quite thin and may let cold air through. The fleece is thicker, so you may have more success if you wanted to use the liner on its own. You could certainly use a silk liner inside a fleece liner! That would be super comfy. The silk liners pack up to nearly nothing, whereas the fleece liners you're looking at a picnic rug size roll. ^^

This is simply put not true. Isolation comes from loft. Fleece is thicker than most silk per weight. Hence a fleece liner is warmer. However you might perceive silk as warmer but that is not really the case. Primoloft and down offers a lot more loft per weight, so from a weight and bulk perspective it is often better to just buy a warmer sleeping bag.

Sep 27, 2014
North East
Thanks for the extra advice!
I looked at the Czech bedroll and it looks amazing for the money.
I think I will end up buying twice though if I don't go with a bivi bag.
The places where I will kip have large slaters (look like a big wood louse) every where so I like the idea of netting (otherwise I keep waking up with them hang out of my facial �� orifices, think Wrath of Khan!).
So to sum up I think I am looking for a Dutch bivi (if I can find one for sensible money, a jungle bag, and some kind of liner to keep my fishing clothes from wrecking the sleeping bag.

Has anyone any experiance of the army jungle bag?

Thanks for all your help thus far.

UKarmr

Feb 22, 2012
N Yorks
Well I have plenty of use with the army issue jungle bag.
Great for Iraq in summer, great in a campervan, great indoors as a light travel bag.
Waste of space if sleeping outside in the uk in anything other than high summer.
Your experience may vary of course, but certainly I can't think of many people who would pack a jungle bag as their primary sleep system for a uk exercise.

Sep 27, 2014
North East
I should add I'll be dressed in jogging pants and fleece.
I sleep very warm, and have coped with nothing upto now.
I'm hoping by adding layers (maybe even wearing my issue gortex) I'll be ok.
When I camp in tents I tend to use my bag as a blanket, sleeping under rather than in it.
I was in the infantry for five years, but unfortunately cannot justify packing anything as big as a bouncing Betty on these fishing trips.
I'm hoping someone will say the snugpak jungle gag is all I ever wished for :) but have also heard the elite 3 is quite small.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I should add I'll be dressed in jogging pants and fleece.
I sleep very warm, and have coped with nothing upto now.
I'm hoping by adding layers (maybe even wearing my issue gortex) I'll be ok.
When I camp in tents I tend to use my bag as a blanket, sleeping under rather than in it.
I was in the infantry for five years, but unfortunately cannot justify packing anything as big as a bouncing Betty on these fishing trips.
I'm hoping someone will say the snugpak jungle gag is all I ever wished for :) but have also heard the elite 3 is quite small.
I've used my jungle bag too quite decent effect(defo ain't no winter bag).but if you've managed so far what's it gonna hurt.
Are you planning on having a fire or using a stove of some sort with you.trangia burners don't weight much and a greatittle heat source when Yer need warm your hands up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
My daughter would use just a fleece sleeping bag liner in her hammock most times. There would be a CCF mat under the hammock but the liner was roomy and no drafts. She would also throw the liner over her shoulders, when we would sit around at night just talking, for extra warmth.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've been using a Snugpak Travelpak Traveller (civvy version of the jungle bag) with an Argos polyester liner, all inside an army bivvy bag, throughout the Summer and have no complaints at all with the setup. I don't care for silk liners but the polyester one works very nicely. I have been sleeping in just underwear, so you might well be comfortable with more gear on.

Rich.H

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2010
N.Ireland
Rather than add a liner to your bag try adding a layer to your body, it won't get bunched up and has the benefit of going exactly where you do thus carrying heat along. Somewhat pricey but a good set of merino leggings and long sleeve top should do the job, plus they should pack smaller than most fleece type liners.

Sep 27, 2014
North East
Thanks again for the advice!
Those suits look good, are they a cheaper version of the softie jackets?
Does anyone have any experiance of them?
I should add I think I've ended up a long way from where I started!
I've decided to get a Dutch hooped bivi and a Snugpak softie elite 3 (or possibly a 2, still trying to decide).

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Thanks again for the advice!
Those suits look good, are they a cheaper version of the softie jackets?
Does anyone have any experiance of them?
I should add I think I've ended up a long way from where I started!
I've decided to get a Dutch hooped bivi and a Snugpak softie elite 3 (or possibly a 2, still trying to decide).
Ha you have gone full circle their dude.
Sounds like a sweet set up for fishing though.might help if yer explain exactly what type of fishing yer doin/were yer doin it/how long for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE