flavoured vodka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
i've just( yesterday) had a go at strawberry and blackberry vodka, the jar i am using is supposed to be air tight, just give it a bit of a shake to help the sugar dissolve and realised the jar isn't air tight as its leaking a bit, will this matter i will only be leaving it a couple of weeks before drinking but will the fruit go "off" if the jar isn't airtight :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Run insulating tape around the stopper/jar join - result - airtight!
It is how I always do my sloe gin bottles that sit for months....

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Ive always used demi johns with an air lock for 3 months then into screw top bottles.
Guess the air prob you have might be a prob but then the vodka might preserve. It would certainly be a problem if the alcohol wasn't already there.

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
THIS is the jar i am using, 2ltr size, i have wrapped the top with cling film, good tip about the tape Johm will have a look if i can do that, may be awkward though with the clamp arrangement, if i was to get a better jar tommorow and transfer the contents would that be a better bet, the fruit been in there for two day's now (would be 3 tommorow), if it was going to go mouldy do you think i would have caught it in time, as addo say's hope fully the vodka will help to preserve it ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I must admit I've never bothered taping bottles or jars. The only problem I could see you might have is with the alcohol evaporating. I think I'd just screw it as tight as possible. A bottle of ordinary booze will sterilise a water butt of water if that's any guide to it's potential for not going off.

I've got rosehips in vodka just now and I got some brambles into another bottle last week.........but has anyone got any new ideas what to do with sloes ?
I'm fed up making sloe gin and the sloe whisky wasn't wonderful :rolleyes: to quote Son2 "Why ?:confused: " but I've got a bowlful of sloes and it seems a shame not to use them.

cheers,
Toddy

p.s. Just followed the link........the seals aren't thick enough on those jars. I bought some for dyestuffs and they leaked :(
I fixed it by cutting out additional ones from a silicon baking sheet.

atb,
M

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I make sloe vodka now instead of gin. think you can taste the sloes better. I follow huge furrys Whittling tools recipie.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oooh, I should taste test the Sloe Vodka, just to make sure it is OK!

<nips off to get a glass and some cling film to re-seal the demijohn later>

:D

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Are the sloes ready yet? I thought I was supposed to wait for the first frost. I don't want to miss this lot:

sloes.jpg

Cheers,
Steve

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
Are the sloes ready yet? I thought I was supposed to wait for the first frost. I don't want to miss this lot:
In this country they'll be long gone before the first frost..

You could bag them loosely and sling them in the freezer like I did last year - hey-presto ... instant frost !!! :D

overnight should do it, and bursts the skins so you don't need to bother with all that pricking malarky ;)

top-tip - If you handle them while they're still frozen they're a lot easier to get into the bottles - I use a cone of paper to funnel them in :)

Aragorn

Settler
Aug 20, 2006
Wrexham, North Wales
thanks for that Mary will have a look for a sheet tomorrow, thinking about it now the seal is pretty thin, no offence but trust a woman to find the solution straight away, and the blokes just reach for another roll of tape :D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just tried my sloe vodka, it is like nectar! I may have to add a bit more vodka as it is quite sweet but it goes down nice and leaves a warmth in your stomach! Very nice.

:D

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Easy to get lazy here as you can just buy all sorts off the shelf - I even saw birch sap flavoured vodka the other day

inthewids

Nomad
Aug 12, 2008
Morayshire
I tried a few different things in vodka before, skittles and jelly babies, the skittles were better as they dissolved well and made it sweet, fruity and yummers!! Jelly babies didnt dissolve so well but still pretty good.

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Cool! ive just found a bottle of sloe vodka from last year along with 2 bottles of elder/black berry wine from the year before that when tidying the garage out from moving house. forgot all about them. I'll bring some down to coventry.

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Sounds like there is going to be a great tasting session had at Coventry, never tried sloe vodka before.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE