Flashlight Pack Up! Reccomendations Please!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
My cruddy LED lenser packed up recently, after only about 8 months of ownership. The switch at the back is gone and Im pretty unimpressed.

Any reccomendations for a new flashlight? Fenix any good? Iv heard good things about these. I need a powerfull and compact light, that most of all is reliable. Budget is about £30ish.

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
I've got 3 Fenix torches and I think they are brilliant. I've got:

L0D - AAA battery, 7lumens, 20L and 50L
L1D - AA battery, 9L, 40L, 80L and 90L
L2D - 2 x AA, 9L, 40L, 80L and 135L

They are all pretty bright. The L0D is very small but bright for its size. The L1D is a bit bigger but a lot brighter than the L0D and has a better throw. The L2D is bigger again and has a greater maximum brightness.

All the torches have different brightness modes as well as an SOS mode and a strobe. They all cost between £27 and £34 and I got mine from http://www.qualityflashlights.co.uk(no affiliation).

I'm very happy with mine and I did do a little review of the L0D which might help.

Cheers

Joff

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I carry a torch daily in main job. Mostly that was a Surefire 6P - great torch, but cost a fortune in bulbs - which broke when dropped etc.

Got a Fenix L2DCE about three months ago and hugely impressed. In process had tried Innova and Nuwai products and definately preferred Fenix. Have since started using L1DCE for everyday on belt/ in pocket carry.

PM me if you want some of the info I dug up.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
mine vote is for fenix, i have mine for 2 years on mine belt and it's still going strong. I have tried to replaced mine, but never really found a good one that i liked.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Another vote for the Fenix here. Great torch for the money.

Get one from Lighthound if you don't mind ordering from the States

http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=62

Most models are within your budget and most models run on either AA or AAA batteries so they are cheap to run (I use rechargeable cells with mine).

I recommend you get one of the Cree models (they have the letters CE after them) as they are much brighter and have multi output levels and only use the same amount of power as a regular Luxeon lamp.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I've also got the fenix L0D CE. Carry it always on me... it's so small and light but still very bright. I bought it instead of the L1D CE because it comes with a clip and so thought of clipping it onto the hat for handfree use.. It's also cheaper. But now I removed the clip and just put the flashlight in my mouth. (tied some rubber around it so it's softer for the teeth) The clip is also not very strong or secure. So I'd maybe go for the L1D CE if I was to buy one again because of the longer runtime on a slightly bigger battery. I mostly use AA batteries anyway, I'd prefer to have just 1 kind of battery. I do think 9 lumens minimal for the L1D ce is quite much though, I'd prefer something like 5.

On the other hand, the Fenix E0 light looks great as well. Really cheap and simpler with just one lightmode at 5.5 lumens, good enough for me. This light has great runtime as well. I just use the brighter modes on the L0D CE to brag with it ;)

I bought it at http://fenix-store.com/ . Free delivery and great dollar prices :)

hanzo

Nomad
Feb 12, 2006
Hawaii
hanzosoutdoors.blogspot.com
The Fenix lights are great. I have a bunch of them.

But my question to you would be what you intend to use the light for. That could make a huge difference in the recommendation.

If you are using them in an urban setting with mostly up close use, the LED lights like the Fenix are awesome. Also great for EDC would be something like the L0P CE or P1D CE. The first is smaller, but the second kicks out 135 lumens! From your keychain!! Just remember that if you are using your light around ambient light, the LED will not stand out as well as an incandescent. Surefire and Streamlight are great choices for both bulb types.

If you are using them outdoors, a headlamp like a Petzl Tikka XP or Princeton Tech Apex is awesome. Your hands are free and they are bright enough for most tasks and dim enough to read by. And battery life is superb. At least on the Tikka XP, which I have. I only saw a friends Apex, but was impressed. Coupled with an incandescent like a Surefire G2, you are good to go. The incandescent just throws farther outside than an LED.

For diving, I like Underwater Kinetics. Don't forget a back-up dive l have an old UK1200 and a couple of Mini Q40's. They work great. UK also has an HID dive light that looks great.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Iv got 2 Petzls. A big yellow mutha n I had the old Zipka. I just dont like the feel of headlights, they irritate me. I'v always preffered a handheld torch I have to say.

I would be using it for everything but underwater really. I just need a do-it-all. Mainly blasting out the tent though really.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've got a Surefire 6P, a 9P and Z2 combat light and have not had any problems with them at all. No breaks, no damage, nothing, and between them they have been around the world twice and not on holiday if you know what i mean!

Out of the lot i prefer the 6P. It's bright enough, light enough (the 9P is a little cumbersome when trying to hold it in your mouth!) and just slip's into your pocket. You can pick them up for around the £30 mark on T'Bay!

Saying that though, i've not had any Fenix experience so make of it what you will!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have had a Surefire E2 and currently have a C2. Very solid lights, infact the C2 is a little too solid to carry. Also, the battery life just isn't up to it for a week in the bush. I now use my Tikka XP and find it much better for most things in the bush than the hand held torches, but I wouldn't want it for carry about town. Cooking, carrying kit, carving/crafts, or just setting up camp are all easier with a head torch than with a hand held.

It sounds like Fenix is good. I will have a look at those since I have been thinking about getting a bright little LED hand held. Mind you, for sheer usefulness I think it would be hard to beat one of the Photon Freedom key chain lights. I have one and use it loads. IT is bright, light and lasts well.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
It sounds like Fenix is good. I will have a look at those since I have been thinking about getting a bright little LED hand held. Mind you, for sheer usefulness I think it would be hard to beat one of the Photon Freedom key chain lights. I have one and use it loads. IT is bright, light and lasts well.

I think the biggest advantage of for example a Fenix L0D CE or an Fenix E0 to the smaller keychain lights would be the use of a rechargeable AAA battery, which is cheaper to run and more ecological. While still being small and light. The E0 is cheap to buy too.

Just my 2cents, don't want to sound like a fenix salesman :eek:

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Bought enough stuff from States, so not decrying in any way, obviously a Fenix Fan in addition.

A very good UK source is Rob at The Photon Shop - also the official UK distributor. No idea how to put in a link, but Google works.

Aside I buy stuff off him, no business link etc etc.

I liked my Surefire 6P and certainly the light throw is more tradational - LED white light can be a while to get used to. But none of my bulbs burnt out - fumble fingers here managed to drop the torch and bust the bulbs everytime!

I have a stock of CR123 cells, so batts not an issue, but comforting that my Fenix will take ubquitous AA's and L1DCE is a much easier carry package without output compromise.

However, Vive la Difference - it will be a sad day when we are all out as individuals, but using SFAs, Moras, Zebra Billy, Forester Trousers..... er hang on...:confused:

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
The Fenix line are great for their price. I take an L2T out in the woods, but mainly as a back-up to my headtorch.

The L2T runs for yonks on the low setting, which is plenty bright enough for the outdoors.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Im on the brink of buying one of the Fenix Cree range. Which one is best? The L2D CE looks the business, but Im not sure whether Im mad or not paying £40 for a torch. Am I?

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I bought the L2D CE from Lighthound, it was less than 30 quid as I remember (inc. postage).

I think it's the best torch purchase I've ever made (and I have a few). It's such a good all rounder and runs on rechargeables. It's brighter than a huge 4D Maglite but can be dimmed enough to read maps in the dark. I have a NiteIze headband that it can slide in to so that I can use it as a headlamp and it's rugged enough to take a few knocks and a bit of heavy rain.

Being LED there are no bulbs to replace and you get a good runtime so no need to carry lots of batteries with you. It also has a circuit in it to keep the LED a maximum brightness during the useful life of the batteries, so that means none of that slowly going dimmer business.

There's a good independent review here:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l1dce-l2dce.htm

traderran

Settler
May 6, 2007
TEXAS USA
Im on the brink of buying one of the Fenix Cree range. Which one is best? The L2D CE looks the business, but Im not sure whether Im mad or not paying £40 for a torch. Am I?

Get A Dorcy super 1 watt 1 123 cell about 19.00 Us. Lasts forever.
I have several more expensive lights But go back to the Dorcy as a pocket
camping light.

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
Sharp

Vote remains with Fenix for me. The Photon Shop list it at about £32 I think - and its already in UK - well Wales! So the change from £40 will see you right in quality AA batteries for a bit!

I have the L2 DCE and L1 - cant fault either as yet. Though tend to use L1 as more compact and does most what I want it for.

As for sanity in general...:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE