Flame from a coal.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Many years ago I had a postcard from the British Museum showing a picture of a flint and steel and char cloth with sulphur matches. The idea being that
you can get a flame, direct from a coal.
I have tried and it can simplify the ember/coal to flame process without all the tinder preparation and blowing and masses of smoke. I used some splinters of wood (like cocktail sticks) impregnated with sulphur from a sulphur candle (garden shop). Touch the end of the stick to the ember/coal and it will result in as blue suphurous flame. Its quick, and you can get a flame from charcloth that has been ignited by spark or fire piston or from bow/hand drill embers, however sulphur fumes are not the most pleasant to smell.

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
I got a green coconut the other week - an expensive and rare treat in this country but I saved some of the husk & charred it in a sealed tin. A sugar cube sized lump caught as easily as charcloth and caught flame by itself with a little blowing on it. Shame coconut trees are so rare in the midlands.

Excellent! The same can be accomplished with rotten wood punk without charring. Not only does it carry a coal very well, but a few pieces placed in contact with each other can be blown into flame. In fact, if there is a breeze its nearly self igniting once a spark has been set. For instances where a suitable fiber nest materials cant be had, punk is a great alternative. I can always find dry punk in the forest no matter how wet the weather.

Jeff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE