Fkmd...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Guys,

What are people's thoughts and findings on fkmd knives?

Looking at the trakker series as a bit of an all round blade for bushcraft etc?

N

Nomad

Can't comment on the maker, but I don't think I'd like to sharpen that blade.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I had to look both FKMD and Trakker up.

Bit tacticool for me, no surprise when you realise that FKMD stands for Fox Knives Military Division ~ Looks like it'd be fun to sharpen :yikes:
It'd be good to hear your findings if you go ahead with a purchase.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
I notice you have posted the same threads over on British Blades as well ,i get the impression that you are quite into fixed blade and hard use tactical knives, not really suitable for Bushcraft purposes but OK for opening car doors and getting out of helicopters :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
I'm not into tacticool per se, I feel anything over engineered is a good bet, with their parang and kukri being interesting takes on proven blade designs - I'd much prefer a micarta handle than synthetic.

The trakker is their interpretation of the tom brown tracker, a proven and popular design from tops.

N

Nomad

Over-engineered to what extent? The standard bushcraft tool designs and makes are so popular because the shapes work, they're easy to maintain, and they don't fall to bits. There is a lot to be said for using kit that is tried and trusted by those who use it within its intended context. Who cares if a knife or axe is tough enough to cut through armour plate (or whatever OTT spec is being touted)? In bushcraft, its job is to cut bits of wood, maybe the odd animal carcass, and the equipment that people have been using for decades has been shown to be more than up for the job.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmm - the Trakker is on the same google images page as the Tom Brown Tracker ... says it all for me!
I think tacticool is awful and classic Bushcraft tools do the best job when it comes to bushcraft ...
Others may disagree though :)

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
The trakker is their interpretation of the tom brown tracker, a proven and popular design from tops.

Not proven and popular at all as a bushcraft tool i'm afraid, sorry, not intending this thread to turn into a witch hunt, but if i was looking for an all around tool for bushcraft purposes FKMD would be one of the last suppliers on my list.

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
When I said proven, I was more referring to the blade profile which looks like it could be good for a bit of chopping - hence looking for something like a kukri - a bit of an all rounder really.

I usually would use a smallish axe, a folding saw and a 4-5 inch knife for general bits - I was just looking for a general tool and by getting people's opinions here.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'm not into tacticool per se<<<

Aesthetics are a very personal thing. If tacticool floats your boat, go with it and enjoy what you're happy using.

>>> I'd much prefer a micarta handle than synthetic.<<<

You might want to have a think and rephrase that statement :rofl:

>>> The trakker is their interpretation of the tom brown tracker, a proven and popular design from tops.

Have you held or used a Tom Brown Tracker? I have and with a lot of hard work you might turn it into a half decent knife*.
The design could be said to be proven and popular ~ but you need to look at who's said so, who's using then and what use are they being put to.

* Some say the hard work involves replacing the handle and the blade.

If you're looking for a heavy or general purpose camp knife you'd be better off searching through the Makers Market on here and BB ~ a lot more milk, far less moo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE