Fjallraven Falt jacket or Swazi Tahr?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
i have decided that i would like to treat myself to a new jacket. (wrong time of year i know) however i want a nice warm one i time for the bushmoot. i am torn between these two and wandered if any of you kit junkies had any experience of either of them or could recommend one?

Thankyou!

Dan

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I can't comment on the Falt, but I do own a Tahr. It is a very good jacket, but it does make you look like a mad monk. Very quiet to wear and obviously waterproof.

However, I rarely wear mine as I prefer my Ventile, Westwinds/Tamarack smock. It is similar in design to the Tahr, but has 2 chest pockets,with a hand warmer, thru type pocket as well. Much more practical around a fire than goretex.

HTH?

Simon

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
will do mate. cheers for that! i do really like the look of the tahr though! i am quite slim so what are they like size wise?

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I'm 6foot, 44 chest and have a size L. It is plent big enough with room to get layers underneath.

Shame about the Ventile smock, but at least I'm now a member of a small exclusive club!

Simon

EDIT:
If you are going to buy a Tahr from Tamrack, why not become a BcUk Full Member? You will the get 15% off at Tamarack (worth £34.50 on the Tahr), which should cover your joining fee and leave you in pocket! You will also get discount in other shops like Cotswolds...

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
they used to make their own one called the clougha smock. it was lovely but quite pricey from what i remember. now i can actually afford it they have stopped making them.

sods law i guess!!

Dan

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk

Sadly, not that one. Here it is modelled by Yours Truly...
DSC00381.jpg

Just checked, it was called the Clougha Smock

Simon

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
will do mate. cheers for that! i do really like the look of the tahr though! i am quite slim so what are they like size wise?

When considering the Tahr, don't forget the "Tough Brutha" version, which is a bit more "robust." I have one and its the Dog's Danglies!

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
Hi I went for the tahr I find it a great jacket Im 6' 2" and 49" chest went fot the 3xl one and have plenty of room for extra cloths under it.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I had - notice the 'had' - a Falt jacket which was pretty good but far too hot for me. I prefer something that will keep out the gnarly stuff and that's it; I don't need it to keep me warm as well. I wasn't sure about the orange lining or the little bum flap that you could sit on AND it seemed to have unending pockets, not many of which were much use. If I were you, I'd go for a Ventile jacket/smock, either West Winds or Snowsled. They're beautifully made, do the job and will last longer than either the Falt or, I would imagine, the Tahr.

h2o

Settler
Oct 1, 2007
ribble valley
The swai tahr seems a little expensive for sitting around fires and walking through bushes and trees.Having said that if i won the lotto i may be tempted.

jameshs

Oct 23, 2007
London
i am now tempted by the country innovations kestrel smock however!!!

any one have one of these??

:D

Just bought one of these as I was looking for a tough outdoors smock. Got XL which was too much - they swapped it no Questions or postal charge for a Large which is much better.

Have not used it yet - due to in 2 weeks so can't vouch for water proofness, but feels roomy and a good fit (I am 79Kilo 42" chest and the large is great) I run hot, but will use with the snugpak 3 layer for cold nights.

This is no lighweight pice of kit - I anticipate using it for a week of rain ..... hope I never need it!!!

Great service from country innovations

James

_Geraint_

Feb 8, 2008
Lancashire
Not sure if I should mention it, but Tony at Tamarack said they were having a new smock made. I'm not sure if it's being made by West-Winds or Country Innovations.

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
oooh!!! i didnt hear it from you ;)

any idea on when we can expect to see it?
i emailed tony today asking if they had any cloughas knocking around, no word as yet though!

_Geraint_

Feb 8, 2008
Lancashire
No idea I'm afraid. I was going to get a West-Winds Airedale jacket. But now I'm thinking of getting the country innovations Kestrel smock, with it being Ventile and a waterproof membrane it'll be quiet and better around fires than a Gore-Tex jacket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE