Fixing a horn spoon?

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hi guys, I bought a horn spoon the other day but the first time I used it for porridge this split appeared in the near edge shown. Looks like the heat caused the layers to peel apart.

image.jpg

is there any way I can fix it and still use it?
Cheers
Andy

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
When I used to make shofar trumpets from antelope or rams horns, sometimes on cutting a horn to make the mouthpiece, there was air pockets inside where layers of the keratin had delaminated as the animal grew. I dont think there is much you can do about it it seems to be a feature of animal horns! They maybe used a bad section of material for your spoon unfortunately. It might be possible to soften the horn a little, and press it back to shape, possibly with 2 metal spoons 1 above 1 below like simple formers, and try to laminate it up with araldite epooxy resin? Or if the damage isnt too deep, modify the shape a little to cut out the bad bit, perhaps make the shape more like an egg than round as it seemms to be now?
cheers Jonathan :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We have old horn spoons in the loft that are at least 100 years old ( I mind my Grandpa eating his boiled eggs with one of them) and though worn are still perfectly sound; but I bought a new one several years ago to use during a Lotions and Potions activity, and it delaminated enough that I ended up with two almost complete and too thin spoons :sigh:

No idea what best to suggest, tbh.

M

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Try fishfish he is a very clever guy when it comes to bone and antler I would think he could point you in the right direction

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you can get to the reenactor's markets Elin, they sell them by the dozen.

I had a long discussion with the fellow who was in charge of the Pollok fold or Highland cattle....the ones that belong to the City of Glasgow (you can spin them :D) and I asked what happened to the horns ? He was angry, and he said that they are incinerated, even though the beasts are in the best of health, looked after with excellent vetinary care, but that's the law. While horns (with heaven knows what ? ) are imported from third world countries where the euphemistically called Night Soil is a major fertiliser :rolleyes:
I wasn't exactly angry about it, but I was concerned.

I reckon I'd source old spoons rather than new, tbh.

cheers,
M

Elen Sentier

I really don't like crowds, Mary, so I just don't go to things like reenactors markets. I might brace myself for one next year.

We get horns for the biodynamic work - all good quality, healthy, organic, etc from biodynamic cattle - so can source horn. It's shocking about the Highland cattle though, that's the sort of thing that makes me mad.

??? spin them ??? Cooo, didn't know that :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I wonder if its they way they are made. I get the impression that the "modern" mass produced ones are made from a flat thin slice of horn and then heat is used to form the shape. This when heated would try to return to its un-formed shape causing lam problems. If the spoon is carved from a single piece of horn without heat and forming it should be more stable, in theory. Only worked horn a few times for bow making and its horrible stuff but looks great when done.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Only worked horn a few times for bow making and its horrible stuff but looks great when done.

I find the dust smells and tastes like a roast joint especially the antelope horns:lmao:. I used to sand the stuff, but got far better results using card scrapers, or various knives with the edge deliberately turned over one way or the other, pus a fine finish using a small piece of smooth horn, then solvol polish

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I love horn spoons. Our old ones disappeared when Dad died, the gods only know who had 'em! Like yours, Mary, so was a bit miffed. Would love one if anyone would make me one ...

Hi Elen, you could try Abbeyhorn, their prices are quite good and nice folk to deal with LINK Spoon page HERE.

Also this chap has a cracking wee shop near Killin, as well as hoen he does great priced skins and fleece: -
Lawers Horn Carver Lawers, Loch Tay side (north). An eclectic collection of beautifully carved horn and antlers. 01567 820561.

My fav spoon growing up was my boiled egg horn spoon, had a wee whistle carved into the end. Great thing.

Last edited:

Elen Sentier

Hi Elen, you could try Abbeyhorn, their prices are quite good and nice folk to deal with LINK Spoon page HERE.

Also this chap has a cracking wee shop near Killin, as well as hoen he does great priced skins and fleece: -
Lawers Horn Carver Lawers, Loch Tay side (north). An eclectic collection of beautifully carved horn and antlers. 01567 820561.

My fav spoon growing up was my boiled egg horn spoon, had a wee whistle carved into the end. Great thing.

Looks good, ta for the link :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
You really do not want the dust from horn in your lungs!!!...........great big carcinogenic no-no!!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You could try the glue and clamp, or speak to the seller who may replace it or sell you one at a reduced rate? You never know.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE