Fixing a Gortex rip!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Just got back from a nice walk, however my four year old thought he would see how funny it would be to see if daddy can bounce of a barbwire fence. :red:

I now have a nice rip in my gortex coat. It's about 1cm 'L' Shape rip. Any thoughts on repairing it. I had thought maybe a puncture repair kit patch but not sure.

P

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Iron on repair tape would be simplest for something that size. Goretex comes in two types though, 2 or 3 layer. I've got green tape for 3 layer; if that'll do, let me know and I'll pop some into an envelope.
Somewhere :rolleyes: I've got a pack of assorted colour patches too, I think I bought them from Tiso......no idea where I've put them.......somewhere *safe* no doubt :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Toddy, thanks. I hadn't realised you could get such a thing.

It's a really old coat, but I've had a look and it would appear to be two layers.

Thanks for the offer to send some, but I'm thinking it's something I should have in my emergency kit so I'll try and get some.

Thanks again.

P

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
As Toddy says,
you can buy goretex repair patches. bit pricey but a small price to pay for extending the life of an expensive piece of kit.

It's always worth travelling with a little duct/gaffer tape wrapped around a water bottle, or something similar, for field repairs.

Rob

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I got given the coat by my father in law a couple of years ago and whilst it's a dated hand me down it does the trick.

It being something I can't really justify the expense of buying I'd like to hang on to it for as log as I can.

P

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE