Fixing a daysack above a belt (Molle)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
So I've done the annual lets see what happens if I try and fit all my kit into one sensible bag and lo and behold it all fits into my 45 litre patrol pack and a couple of side pouches. (Turns out there's loads of space when you don't have to worry about ammo and radios)

Now the main issue I'm finding is that the patrol pack doesn't have a hip belt so the comfort levels aren't quite there.

I do have my old Molle hip belt which would be ideal to sit under the patrol pack but the question is how? Normally I'd have a couple of utility pouches with water in for the day sack to sit on but I don't want to be filling pouches for the sake of it.

I recall seeing some Molle crosses that sit in the belt and fix up onto the day sack, does anyone recall what these are called to help with the google fu?

Thanks in advance.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Can't help with your query because i can't quite picture what you mean but I guess you are probably familiar with JayJay's in Brecon. It sounds like something they could knock up for you.

Also, yeah rad and ammo defo make you feel like a pack horse!

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

Ah, apologies, it wasn't quite clear.

The picture I have in my head is a couple of sticks that are thread through the molle straps on the hip pad that protrude up say 3 inches to the bottom of the daysack on which the daysack can rest on to spread the weight to the hip pad and belt.

Jayjays has some cracking kit, I think I still have my rankslide compass pouch hidden away somewhere.

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Turns out there's loads of space when you don't have to worry about ammo and radios
Camera gear, battery packs and alcohol more than make up for the missing mass :wink:

Vaguely recall being told the NI pack would be supported in a similar fashion by the full waist pouches of the separate combat yoke. Google though did kick out one interesting link for the Dynamic Weight Distribution (DWD) system aka "Spine Bar". Looks like research into the bouncing backpack concept is still going strong in some areas, alas no price listed just a contact us...
belt_dwd-600x800.jpg
On the flipside 20mm plastic soil pipe has proved robust enough to replace aluminium pack frames and polymorph plastic could be easily molded by hand for the frame/molle interface. Making it not look like a dogs breakfast... ahh that would be challenge.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
I think I may have cracked it, I forgot that the lid clips go all the way to the back of the bottom, I've threaded the clips into the molle strips on the hip pad and back on themselves so the bag is held tight to the top of the belt.

It does feel a little odd having the bag attached to the webbing, particularly when you bend over but it does transfer most of the weight to the hips.

Hopefully the pictures will paint a few more words. Next job is to test it out on a hike.20200601_170201.jpg20200601_171425.jpg
20200601_173201.jpg

Reactions: Onelifeoverland

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
It's the issue tissue belt pad that I had a go at dying black, dead comfy, I used to use it with one of those rigger belts but my wife now uses that as a dog belt so it's back to the chunky QR belt.

It's the issue tissue belt pad that I had a go at dying black, dead comfy, I used to use it with one of those rigger belts but my wife now uses that as a dog belt so it's back to the chunky QR belt.
Yeah I thought it was but didnt like to say just in case it wasnt and youd paid good money for it

I might have to try something similar with one now I've seen that.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I dont think this solution will work for a non waist belt pack and could be the same design as you already have, I got one of these to help with comfort on a Vulcan? or some uncomfortable ruck, but it didnt really work.

I have now attached it to a PLCE long back as the hip padding is non existant and I am about to give it a try. I am quite fortunate that i dont have to carry much more than 15-20 KG and i am really surprised how comfortable the bergan has been in stock mode.

If i it needs more padding I was considering using pipe lagging or an old rollmat to boost it up a bit so its sits in the small of my back 60/40 but I may not need it.

zdqsgmJl.jpg

V6WWXj1l.jpg

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
How about a slightly different direction. If your Side pouches are going to stay on for the majority of the time, could you run a long webbing strap (or very long belt) around the whole bag to give yourself a belt to then pad? Then add a buckle and a couple of tri glides.

Using these fixings to keep the belt from slipping off and at rougly waist high? Not sure if it will be to high?

OCGJZzZl.jpg

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Actually i can see a problem there, if the pouches are zipped on then it would need a mod to get the strap through behind the zips.

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Actually i can see a problem there, if the pouches are zipped on then it would need a mod to get the strap through behind the zips.
The issue daysack has little slots cut out so you can put the compression straps around the rocket pouches so you could feasibly put a futility strap around the whole lot, but this would sit a belly button level. I'll try the daysack with the arrangement belt above and if it sits too high I can thread the strap though the up of the hip belt, that should lower it a couple of inches. Good idea to try though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE