fixed blade. what you using

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use lots of different knives ...
Various Moras, both modified by myself and factory standard, a cut down Cold Steel SRK, an Asian Damascus - both of those handled by myself, A Helle Temegami, one I forged myself, several I ground out myself, a Dave Budd Bcuk, and more!
Some only get used at home in the kitchen or workshop, some live in particular "crafting sets" and others get used in rotation......
I like knives....

pretty much my own design of blade (DSP) as i didnt get on with woodlore style knives. i also find i most use a 3/4 scale neck version and a larger camp knife (XL DNK) as aposed to a 220mm bushcraft size and an axe.

i still take and use a mora clipper in orange and stainless
I also find a north American indian crooked knife is a good GP bushcraft wood tool nothing makes better feather sticks and it can hollow spoons and cups easily. If given one choice of cutting tool this would be it

ATB
Duncan

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
One of Robs fantastic bushtools. Just a brilliant allround design and shape. Having handled a sokum I still prefer Robs take on things and the slight drop point gives it a better flowing line. :)
Bad photo but you get the idea.
P4220026.jpg

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looking at the array of wonderful knives here I wonder if they get used very much, do you have a second real user whilst out and about.
Take a look at Imagedude's knife it looks really used, he has had some fun using that knife, it has served him well I would imagine.
I have a Draw Queen like most people, but I use Mora and the Hultafors HVK most of the time, they look like users, plenty of scratches and marks from sharpening. I have made a few new handles for the Hultafors knives as I use them for carving and camp, they are my preferred knife as they hold a good edge.
I'm not knocking you guys at all, having been on this forum for some time I know most of you do get out a lot and do plenty bushy stuff, probably more than me.
My latest will look like this,before and after picture, the handle on the left is for a M Eklund blade, still waiting to finish the brass fittings.
Knifehandles002.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looking at the array of wonderful knives here I wonder if they get used very much, do you have a second real user whilst out and about.
Take a look at Imagedude's knife it looks really used, he has had some fun using that knife, it has served him well I would imagine.
I have a Draw Queen like most people, but I use Mora and the Hultafors HVK most of the time, they look like users, plenty of scratches and marks from sharpening. I have made a few new handles for the Hultafors knives as I use them for carving and camp, they are my preferred knife as they hold a good edge.
I'm not knocking you guys at all, having been on this forum for some time I know most of you do get out a lot and do plenty bushy stuff, probably more than me.
My latest will look like this,before and after picture, the handle on the left is for a M Eklund blade, still waiting to finish the brass fittings.
Knifehandles002.jpg

I think most of the time we tend to post pictures along the lines of "This is how it used to look!"
I.E.
ooooooo shiney
S6001216.jpg

Realistic
P4220018.jpg

Attachments

• S6001216.jpg
    S6001216.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 18

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Should we make knives dirty for pics? should there be a level of patteena, rust, dirt, scratch to denote a used knife? lots of snobs around lately, not knocking you guys, just dont like trolls!:D:confused::p:You_Rock_

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
plsk1d.jpg

Here is my new Christmas Knife, Blinde Horse Knives, PLSK 1, really pleased with it, nice and strong, and very sharp!!!!
Cant wait to get out in the woods and try it!!!!!

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
F1, BcUK spydie, Evans Bushtool & necker, SM Bushcrafter, and tried a few others

........and a couple of them carpy plasticy things everyone seems to love:lmao:

As much as I enjoyed the ones above and still do, I started to feel a little over gunned, I never baton and found then lacking a little for any slicing tasks and started to fancy something Puukko flavoured. So I bought a Kellam Wolverine and I think I have found something very suitable for me. Like the blade, like the grind, like the thickness, like the overall weight, like the handle and the sheath but but need a lefty.

Worth a look.

(Rob Evans makes a nice knife too!)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I seem to be using this for most things these days

The blade is hollow ground but left with a thick edge so you kinda get a scandi beval off 2mm thick steal but backed up with a 4.4mm spine .
I like it a lot , The blade is A2 steel and just does not want to go blunt

P1020328.jpg

Last edited:
plsk1d.jpg

Here is my new Christmas Knife, Blinde Horse Knives, PLSK 1, really pleased with it, nice and strong, and very sharp!!!!
Cant wait to get out in the woods and try it!!!!!

Got to handle one of these when they first came out, the handle feels good but wondering how that grind will do on a blade that thick. I have one 5mm blade with a scandi grind and it really needs a new angle to be effective in use. I think it is a steeper grind than the BHK though.

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Some nice cutlery in this thread. Here's mine, next to a GB Wildlife Hatchet for scale:

tumblr_lujllpEkcI1qzb16wo1_500.png

(left to right)
Mora Clipper and leather sheath:
My original carbon Clipper’s still with me. Was about £5, and it’s practical and sharp. I don’t like the hard plastic sheaths they come with, so replaced it with a cheap hide one from Heinnie.

BuckLite MAX and home-made sheath:
Brilliant little full-tang hunting-knife with a well-designed rubber handle with finger and thumb grooves.
It’s ‘only’ 420HC stainless, but its 3 1/4” blade is really well designed for multiple uses, and the edge is held for a long time, despite getting lots of abuse.
Comes with a nylon sheath, so I made me a new leather one which adapts to shoulder-rigging.

Cold Steel Bushman and home-made sheath:
A ridiculously tough, minimalist knife, and cheap (£25 if you shop around). Single-piece construction, with a hollow handle, SK5 HC steel, hardened to RC54, but a good balance between hard and springy. I’ve used amalgamating-tape to give the handle more grip, and stuffed a ferrous-rod into the handle. This is my favourite beater-knife. I know it can take abuse, and it’s stood up well.
Like the others, it came with a rubbish sheath. In fact, the worst sheath I’ve ever seen… So I made a new one out of hide (from a kit - it works out cheaper than buying the materials separately).

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
Im using the last handmade knife by Raikey, made it for me last year and all the knifes ive collected since then it still remaines my favourite
Picture093-1.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture094-1.jpg

Picture079.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE